May 22, 2012, 4:47 PM EST
After spending the 2010-11 season in the minors, Sheldon Souray returned to the NHL in style last season with the Dallas Stars, posting 21 points in 65 games while averaging over 20 minutes per night.
Now, the 35-year-old would like another season in The D.
“I’d like to stay here,” Souray told the Stars website. “I know they’re going to make changes, if anyone here thinks they’re not making changes, they’re all a little naïve. Hopefully in the year that I’ve been here, they see me as part of the solution moving forward.
“I really like it here, I don’t want to leave here.”
Souray played last season on a one-year, $1.65 million deal that was as beneficial for him — the opportunity to show he could still play at the NHL level — as it was for the Stars, who got a top-four defenseman for a bargain basement price.
That said, it’s likely he’ll be looking for a raise and longer term with his next deal. That notion is bolstered by a shallow pool of free agent defensemen and some of the deals handed out to over-35 blueliners last summer: Roman Hamrlik (two years, $7 million), Hal Gill (one year, $2.25 million) and Sami Salo (one year, $2 million).
Souray can probably go to market confident he’ll get a nice deal, though Stars head coach Glen Gulutzan would love to see him back in Dallas.
“He has been a force and he’s been a guy in the locker room that took charge and we needed that,” Dallas coach Glen Gulutzan said. “He’s been a real positive guy for our group right from Day One.”
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 10
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 40
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (40)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)