Jun 12, 2012, 1:54 PM EDT
Today, we can give you the details.
The Bruins gave Kelly $12 million over four years and Campbell $4.8 million over three, representing a pretty nice pay bump for each guy (Kelly gets around $900k more annually; Campbell $500k.)
The signings ….what does it mean for the Bruins’ financials moving forward?
For the answer, here’s CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty:
The salary cap for the 2012-13 season isn’t yet known and won’t be finalized until the CBA is ratified by the NHL and the NHLPA. But it would have been $70.3 million if the new CBA is modeled after the current agreement that expires in September, and the Bruins are currently at $64.9 million, according to capgeek.com.
That leaves roughly $5 million in cap space — or $14 million if they can clear Thomas off the ledger and place Savard on long term injured reserve with his debilitating post-concussion syndrome — with the Bruins still looking to address restricted free agents Tuukka Rask and Benoit Pouliot as well secure at least one more top-nine forward to the mix. The Bruins also need one more defenseman to fill into the vacant spot left by Joe Corvo, and a $1.494 cap hit for Dougie Hamilton should the 18-year-old prove he’s ready to play in Boston next season.
To summarize: Boston will look very similar to last season. While there’s still the possibility for a trade, all signs point to the Bruins heading into 2012-13 with the group that earned 102 points last season and a second straight Northeast Division banner — minus the services of Tim Thomas, of course.
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 3
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 28
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 24
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)