Jun 12, 2012, 1:54 PM EDT
Today, we can give you the details.
The Bruins gave Kelly $12 million over four years and Campbell $4.8 million over three, representing a pretty nice pay bump for each guy (Kelly gets around $900k more annually; Campbell $500k.)
The signings ….what does it mean for the Bruins’ financials moving forward?
For the answer, here’s CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty:
The salary cap for the 2012-13 season isn’t yet known and won’t be finalized until the CBA is ratified by the NHL and the NHLPA. But it would have been $70.3 million if the new CBA is modeled after the current agreement that expires in September, and the Bruins are currently at $64.9 million, according to capgeek.com.
That leaves roughly $5 million in cap space — or $14 million if they can clear Thomas off the ledger and place Savard on long term injured reserve with his debilitating post-concussion syndrome — with the Bruins still looking to address restricted free agents Tuukka Rask and Benoit Pouliot as well secure at least one more top-nine forward to the mix. The Bruins also need one more defenseman to fill into the vacant spot left by Joe Corvo, and a $1.494 cap hit for Dougie Hamilton should the 18-year-old prove he’s ready to play in Boston next season.
To summarize: Boston will look very similar to last season. While there’s still the possibility for a trade, all signs point to the Bruins heading into 2012-13 with the group that earned 102 points last season and a second straight Northeast Division banner — minus the services of Tim Thomas, of course.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 67
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 32
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15