Jun 12, 2012, 1:54 PM EST
Today, we can give you the details.
The Bruins gave Kelly $12 million over four years and Campbell $4.8 million over three, representing a pretty nice pay bump for each guy (Kelly gets around $900k more annually; Campbell $500k.)
The signings ….what does it mean for the Bruins’ financials moving forward?
For the answer, here’s CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty:
The salary cap for the 2012-13 season isn’t yet known and won’t be finalized until the CBA is ratified by the NHL and the NHLPA. But it would have been $70.3 million if the new CBA is modeled after the current agreement that expires in September, and the Bruins are currently at $64.9 million, according to capgeek.com.
That leaves roughly $5 million in cap space — or $14 million if they can clear Thomas off the ledger and place Savard on long term injured reserve with his debilitating post-concussion syndrome — with the Bruins still looking to address restricted free agents Tuukka Rask and Benoit Pouliot as well secure at least one more top-nine forward to the mix. The Bruins also need one more defenseman to fill into the vacant spot left by Joe Corvo, and a $1.494 cap hit for Dougie Hamilton should the 18-year-old prove he’s ready to play in Boston next season.
To summarize: Boston will look very similar to last season. While there’s still the possibility for a trade, all signs point to the Bruins heading into 2012-13 with the group that earned 102 points last season and a second straight Northeast Division banner — minus the services of Tim Thomas, of course.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 37
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 25
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 43
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 84
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)