Jun 11, 2012, 12:37 PM EST
The question, though, is if Hudler wants to come back.
“We’re prepared to offer him a contract,” Wings GM Ken Holland said. “He’s got the right to go to free agency. We’ll see what happens. Right now Jiri will continue taking time to determine what he wants to do.”
Khan suggests Detroit “isn’t apt” to pay Hudler more than what its paying Johan Franzen ($3.95 annual cap hit) or what it plans to give Valtteri Filppula (who’s deal expires in 2013) — and that could be an issue given what Colorado GM Greg Sherman gave impeding UFA forward David Jones last week.
Jones, 27, parlayed back-to-back 20-goal seasons into a four-year, $16 million deal…a pretty hefty contract for a guy that was a healthy scratch in February.
(It’s unclear if this set the market for UFA forwards or not. The Sherminator tends to march to the beat of his own drummer when assessing player value.)
Based on that Jones deal, Hudler could go to market with an even bigger contract in mind. He’s coming off a 25-goal, 50-point season with the Wings and given the dearth of free agent forwards, could cash in with a team looking for offense.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 9
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 18
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 49
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 55
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (55)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)