Jun 7, 2012, 12:47 PM EST
According to Adrian Dater of The Denver Post, power forward David Jones is set to cash in. Dater reports Jones has signed a four-year, $16 million deal to stay with the Avalanche.
That $4 million cap hit is surely going to generate some discussion as the Avalanche have a host of potential free agents this summer and will need to reach the cap floor for a second straight year. More deals like this will make it automatic.
It was just last week Jones was reported to be in talks with the team to remain in Denver, and the Avalanche making their intentions so clear was a sign they wanted to keep him in town. Mission accomplished as Jones will look to continue being a 20-25 goals a year guy in the Avalanche’s top six forward unit.
Jones had 20 goals and 37 points last season for the low-scoring Avs and potted 27 goals two seasons ago. Staying healthy had been his biggest issue in his previous two NHL seasons but seems to have put those problems behind him.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)