Jun 4, 2012, 2:07 PM EDT
It’s official: Simon Gagne will get a chance to play in the Stanley Cup finals.
That’s the word out of Staples this morning following the morning skate — news broke a short time ago that the Kings winger will make his playoff debut on Monday and appear in a game for the first time since suffering a concussion in December.
Gagne missed 48 games during the regular season — and, obviously, all 16 of L.A.’s playoff games — and only recently resumed practicing. He’s been skating hard, having to the Stanley Cup finals once before (losing in 2010, with Philadelphia) and cognizant of the fact this might be his best chance at hoisting Lord Stanley’s mug.
Sounds as though Kings forward Brad Richardson will be the odd man out after playing just 2:23 in the third period and 1:10 in overtime of Game 2. This could be a move to inject offense into the L.A. lineup as the Kings only have two regulation goals in the series.
Gagne’s improbable return harkens back to last year’s Stanley Cup finals. The Canucks had all but ruled out Manny Malhotra (eye) playing in the series — very much like what L.A.’s done with Gagne — yet Malhotra returned for Game 2 and received a raucous ovation from the Rogers Arena faithful.
Expect Staples to be very loud this evening when Gagne hits the ice.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 5
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 53
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)