Jun 4, 2012, 2:07 PM EDT
It’s official: Simon Gagne will get a chance to play in the Stanley Cup finals.
That’s the word out of Staples this morning following the morning skate — news broke a short time ago that the Kings winger will make his playoff debut on Monday and appear in a game for the first time since suffering a concussion in December.
Gagne missed 48 games during the regular season — and, obviously, all 16 of L.A.’s playoff games — and only recently resumed practicing. He’s been skating hard, having to the Stanley Cup finals once before (losing in 2010, with Philadelphia) and cognizant of the fact this might be his best chance at hoisting Lord Stanley’s mug.
Sounds as though Kings forward Brad Richardson will be the odd man out after playing just 2:23 in the third period and 1:10 in overtime of Game 2. This could be a move to inject offense into the L.A. lineup as the Kings only have two regulation goals in the series.
Gagne’s improbable return harkens back to last year’s Stanley Cup finals. The Canucks had all but ruled out Manny Malhotra (eye) playing in the series — very much like what L.A.’s done with Gagne — yet Malhotra returned for Game 2 and received a raucous ovation from the Rogers Arena faithful.
Expect Staples to be very loud this evening when Gagne hits the ice.
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 18
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 11
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 41
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)