May 31, 2012, 5:40 PM EDT
The 2012 Stanley Cup finals have been difficult for Kings forward Simon Gagne.
The 32-year-old has fully recovered from a concussion that’s kept him out of the lineup since Dec. 26. He’s medically cleared, practicing with the team and chomping at the bit of a second crack at the cup — but he also knows the reality of the situation.
“It’s going to take something for me to get in,” Gagne told the Toronto Star. “If we win four in a row, it might not happen. I am not going to wish anything bad.”
Gagne missed 48 games during the regular season — and, obviously, all 15 of L.A.’s playoff games — and only recently resumed practicing. He’s been skating hard, having to the Stanley Cup finals once before (losing in 2010, with Philadelphia) and cognizant of the fact this might be his best chance at hoisting Lord Stanley’s mug.
He’s probably desperate to get back in, and the Kings organization is probably aware of this. Regardless, Darryl Sutter put the clamps on Gagne-related queries prior to Game 1.
“I’m not answering that question again about Simon,” Sutter said of the left winger’s status. “Cleared for contact, cleared for practice, travelling with the team. So there won’t be any further update on that one because, quite honestly, the answer’s the same.
“I don’t know how to answer it, right? You tell the truth or don’t say nothing.”
Don’t say anything, Darryl.
Don’t say nothing is a double negative.
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 26
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)