Jun 3, 2012, 7:27 PM EDT
Down 1-0 in their series against the Los Angeles Kings and 1-0 through 40 minutes of Game 2, the New Jersey Devils decided to shake up their top three lines.
That wasn’t enough to earn them a win. In fact, it was the fourth line – the only one Devils coach Peter DeBoer left intact – that scored the game-tying goal in the third period.
Still, the Devils decided to run with the modified line combinations during Sunday’s practice. That means Ilya Kovalchuk, Zach Parise, and Travis Zajac are currently projected to make up the first line. Adam Henrique, Patrik Elias, and Dainius Zubrus will round out the top-six if the Devils decide to go with Sunday’s practice lines.
It also looks like Henrik Tallinder and Petr Sykora will once again be healthy scratches. Tallinder has recovered from a blood clot, but he hasn’t played since Jan. 17. Sykora ranked fifth on the team in goals scored during the regular season.
Only two teams have ever come back after losing the first two games of the Stanley Cup finals at home. That’s how badly the odds are stacked against the Devils as they enter Game 3 on Monday.
- Will winning trump revenge tonight? 0
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 5
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 6
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 32
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)