Jun 3, 2012, 7:27 PM EST
Down 1-0 in their series against the Los Angeles Kings and 1-0 through 40 minutes of Game 2, the New Jersey Devils decided to shake up their top three lines.
That wasn’t enough to earn them a win. In fact, it was the fourth line – the only one Devils coach Peter DeBoer left intact – that scored the game-tying goal in the third period.
Still, the Devils decided to run with the modified line combinations during Sunday’s practice. That means Ilya Kovalchuk, Zach Parise, and Travis Zajac are currently projected to make up the first line. Adam Henrique, Patrik Elias, and Dainius Zubrus will round out the top-six if the Devils decide to go with Sunday’s practice lines.
It also looks like Henrik Tallinder and Petr Sykora will once again be healthy scratches. Tallinder has recovered from a blood clot, but he hasn’t played since Jan. 17. Sykora ranked fifth on the team in goals scored during the regular season.
Only two teams have ever come back after losing the first two games of the Stanley Cup finals at home. That’s how badly the odds are stacked against the Devils as they enter Game 3 on Monday.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 26
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 13
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 81
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (81)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)