Jun 3, 2012, 7:27 PM EDT
Down 1-0 in their series against the Los Angeles Kings and 1-0 through 40 minutes of Game 2, the New Jersey Devils decided to shake up their top three lines.
That wasn’t enough to earn them a win. In fact, it was the fourth line – the only one Devils coach Peter DeBoer left intact – that scored the game-tying goal in the third period.
Still, the Devils decided to run with the modified line combinations during Sunday’s practice. That means Ilya Kovalchuk, Zach Parise, and Travis Zajac are currently projected to make up the first line. Adam Henrique, Patrik Elias, and Dainius Zubrus will round out the top-six if the Devils decide to go with Sunday’s practice lines.
It also looks like Henrik Tallinder and Petr Sykora will once again be healthy scratches. Tallinder has recovered from a blood clot, but he hasn’t played since Jan. 17. Sykora ranked fifth on the team in goals scored during the regular season.
Only two teams have ever come back after losing the first two games of the Stanley Cup finals at home. That’s how badly the odds are stacked against the Devils as they enter Game 3 on Monday.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)