Jun 3, 2012, 7:27 PM EDT
Down 1-0 in their series against the Los Angeles Kings and 1-0 through 40 minutes of Game 2, the New Jersey Devils decided to shake up their top three lines.
That wasn’t enough to earn them a win. In fact, it was the fourth line – the only one Devils coach Peter DeBoer left intact – that scored the game-tying goal in the third period.
Still, the Devils decided to run with the modified line combinations during Sunday’s practice. That means Ilya Kovalchuk, Zach Parise, and Travis Zajac are currently projected to make up the first line. Adam Henrique, Patrik Elias, and Dainius Zubrus will round out the top-six if the Devils decide to go with Sunday’s practice lines.
It also looks like Henrik Tallinder and Petr Sykora will once again be healthy scratches. Tallinder has recovered from a blood clot, but he hasn’t played since Jan. 17. Sykora ranked fifth on the team in goals scored during the regular season.
Only two teams have ever come back after losing the first two games of the Stanley Cup finals at home. That’s how badly the odds are stacked against the Devils as they enter Game 3 on Monday.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)