Jun 3, 2012, 7:27 PM EDT
Down 1-0 in their series against the Los Angeles Kings and 1-0 through 40 minutes of Game 2, the New Jersey Devils decided to shake up their top three lines.
That wasn’t enough to earn them a win. In fact, it was the fourth line – the only one Devils coach Peter DeBoer left intact – that scored the game-tying goal in the third period.
Still, the Devils decided to run with the modified line combinations during Sunday’s practice. That means Ilya Kovalchuk, Zach Parise, and Travis Zajac are currently projected to make up the first line. Adam Henrique, Patrik Elias, and Dainius Zubrus will round out the top-six if the Devils decide to go with Sunday’s practice lines.
It also looks like Henrik Tallinder and Petr Sykora will once again be healthy scratches. Tallinder has recovered from a blood clot, but he hasn’t played since Jan. 17. Sykora ranked fifth on the team in goals scored during the regular season.
Only two teams have ever come back after losing the first two games of the Stanley Cup finals at home. That’s how badly the odds are stacked against the Devils as they enter Game 3 on Monday.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 12
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 13
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)