Jun 2, 2012, 11:40 PM EDT
Once again, the Los Angeles Kings have managed to defeat the New Jersey Devils in overtime by a 2-1 scoreline.
When the Devils lost Game 1, their situation was bad — now, it’s dire. Only two teams have ever won the Stanley Cup finals after conceding Games 1 and 2 at home: The 1942 Toronto Maple Leafs (who overcame a 0-3 series deficit) and the 1966 Montreal Canadiens.
Here are a few more facts to chew on:
— The Kings are now 10-0 on the road in these playoffs. No team has ever won 10 straight road games in a single playoff run. On top of that, they are tied for the record for total playoff road victories in a single postseason.
— The Kings have taken a 2-0 series lead in all four of their series.
— The last time the Stanley Cup finals kicked off with back-to-back overtime games was in 1951. Back then, there were just six NHL teams, Gordie Howe was the scoring leader, and the Toronto Maple Leafs hoisted Lord Stanley’s Mug.
— All five of Jeff Carter‘s postseason goals have come in Game 2 of series. We’ll see if he can break that trend later in the Stanley Cup finals.
— There have been nine power plays in the Stanley Cup finals, but no goals. Both teams have been incredibly ineffective with the man advantage.
— 49 postseason games have been decided by just one goal, which is two shy of the NHL record.
— On top of that, the road team has won 46 times in the playoffs, which ties the NHL record.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 0
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 20
- Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 22
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 3
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 1
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)