Jun 2, 2012, 11:40 PM EDT
Once again, the Los Angeles Kings have managed to defeat the New Jersey Devils in overtime by a 2-1 scoreline.
When the Devils lost Game 1, their situation was bad — now, it’s dire. Only two teams have ever won the Stanley Cup finals after conceding Games 1 and 2 at home: The 1942 Toronto Maple Leafs (who overcame a 0-3 series deficit) and the 1966 Montreal Canadiens.
Here are a few more facts to chew on:
— The Kings are now 10-0 on the road in these playoffs. No team has ever won 10 straight road games in a single playoff run. On top of that, they are tied for the record for total playoff road victories in a single postseason.
— The Kings have taken a 2-0 series lead in all four of their series.
— The last time the Stanley Cup finals kicked off with back-to-back overtime games was in 1951. Back then, there were just six NHL teams, Gordie Howe was the scoring leader, and the Toronto Maple Leafs hoisted Lord Stanley’s Mug.
— All five of Jeff Carter‘s postseason goals have come in Game 2 of series. We’ll see if he can break that trend later in the Stanley Cup finals.
— There have been nine power plays in the Stanley Cup finals, but no goals. Both teams have been incredibly ineffective with the man advantage.
— 49 postseason games have been decided by just one goal, which is two shy of the NHL record.
— On top of that, the road team has won 46 times in the playoffs, which ties the NHL record.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 22
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 21
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 33
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)