Jun 2, 2012, 11:40 PM EDT
Once again, the Los Angeles Kings have managed to defeat the New Jersey Devils in overtime by a 2-1 scoreline.
When the Devils lost Game 1, their situation was bad — now, it’s dire. Only two teams have ever won the Stanley Cup finals after conceding Games 1 and 2 at home: The 1942 Toronto Maple Leafs (who overcame a 0-3 series deficit) and the 1966 Montreal Canadiens.
Here are a few more facts to chew on:
— The Kings are now 10-0 on the road in these playoffs. No team has ever won 10 straight road games in a single playoff run. On top of that, they are tied for the record for total playoff road victories in a single postseason.
— The Kings have taken a 2-0 series lead in all four of their series.
— The last time the Stanley Cup finals kicked off with back-to-back overtime games was in 1951. Back then, there were just six NHL teams, Gordie Howe was the scoring leader, and the Toronto Maple Leafs hoisted Lord Stanley’s Mug.
— All five of Jeff Carter‘s postseason goals have come in Game 2 of series. We’ll see if he can break that trend later in the Stanley Cup finals.
— There have been nine power plays in the Stanley Cup finals, but no goals. Both teams have been incredibly ineffective with the man advantage.
— 49 postseason games have been decided by just one goal, which is two shy of the NHL record.
— On top of that, the road team has won 46 times in the playoffs, which ties the NHL record.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 99
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 77
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (100)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)