Jun 2, 2012, 11:40 PM EDT
Once again, the Los Angeles Kings have managed to defeat the New Jersey Devils in overtime by a 2-1 scoreline.
When the Devils lost Game 1, their situation was bad — now, it’s dire. Only two teams have ever won the Stanley Cup finals after conceding Games 1 and 2 at home: The 1942 Toronto Maple Leafs (who overcame a 0-3 series deficit) and the 1966 Montreal Canadiens.
Here are a few more facts to chew on:
— The Kings are now 10-0 on the road in these playoffs. No team has ever won 10 straight road games in a single playoff run. On top of that, they are tied for the record for total playoff road victories in a single postseason.
— The Kings have taken a 2-0 series lead in all four of their series.
— The last time the Stanley Cup finals kicked off with back-to-back overtime games was in 1951. Back then, there were just six NHL teams, Gordie Howe was the scoring leader, and the Toronto Maple Leafs hoisted Lord Stanley’s Mug.
— All five of Jeff Carter‘s postseason goals have come in Game 2 of series. We’ll see if he can break that trend later in the Stanley Cup finals.
— There have been nine power plays in the Stanley Cup finals, but no goals. Both teams have been incredibly ineffective with the man advantage.
— 49 postseason games have been decided by just one goal, which is two shy of the NHL record.
— On top of that, the road team has won 46 times in the playoffs, which ties the NHL record.
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 1
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 45
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 8
- Report: BOG to vote on Vegas expansion in September 1
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits 100
- Howard won’t demand trade out of Detroit 19
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (101)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappointment as Wild advance (99)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)