May 30, 2012, 7:18 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils are having a tremendous playoff run, but their off-ice situation isn’t quite as rosy. The team reportedly has about $80 million in debt, but according to NHL commissioner Gary Bettman, progress is being made.
“The New Jersey situation as we understand it at its most up to date point is that the club, (managing partner) Jeff Vanderbeek is working on both refinancing the debt on the club and an equity raise and he appears to be fairly confident that he can pull this off in due course in the next few weeks,” Bettman said. “Since I’ve been in touch with the banks on a regular basis, we seem to be on track.”
Bettman also rejected a report that the Devils need to refinance or settle their debt by July 1. He wouldn’t provide a specific deadline, but he did say that it was “after that.”
It’s worth adding that Ray Chambers is interested in selling his 47% stake in the team.
This financial situation might make Devils’ fans nervous as Zach Parise‘s contract is set to expire this summer. However, Parise has previously been told that the team’s financial issues will not make a difference with regards to his situation.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 14
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (56)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)