Feb 2, 2012, 12:49 PM EST
Despite an ownership rift and the league keeping them financially afloat, the New Jersey Devils say they won’t let financial issues affect potentially re-upping with star LW Zach Parise.
“The only thing I’ve been told is it’s not going to make a difference. There won’t be any problems,” Parise told The Star-Ledger. “That’s what I’m going on. I don’t really know enough about what’s happening behind the scenes with the ownership.”
And just what exactly is happening with ownership? Well, there’s still the small matter of repaying/refinancing an $80-million loan that’s gone into default…so you can see why negotiating with Parise might not be priority No. 1 at the moment.
But it could be a priority soon. While Devils GM Lou Lamoriello isn’t one to negotiate contracts during the season — only once has LouLam made an exception, and that was for Martin Brodeur — the unique situation at hand might force him to. There’s a strong possibility the following scenario unfolds:
– New Jersey keeps Parise past the trade deadline, unsigned.
– New Jersey misses the playoffs.
– Parise goes to July 1 and becomes an unrestricted free agent.
If this does transpire, it could be curtains for New Jersey. Parise’s stated publicly he wants to play for a winner and a team willing to spend to the cap (something the Devils might not be, regardless of what they say publicly.) There’s also the allure of being a UFA for the first time in his career in an offseason where the likes of Los Angeles, New York Rangers, Washington and Detroit are projected to have over $14 million in available cap space.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 2
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)