Feb 2, 2012, 12:49 PM EST
Despite an ownership rift and the league keeping them financially afloat, the New Jersey Devils say they won’t let financial issues affect potentially re-upping with star LW Zach Parise.
“The only thing I’ve been told is it’s not going to make a difference. There won’t be any problems,” Parise told The Star-Ledger. “That’s what I’m going on. I don’t really know enough about what’s happening behind the scenes with the ownership.”
And just what exactly is happening with ownership? Well, there’s still the small matter of repaying/refinancing an $80-million loan that’s gone into default…so you can see why negotiating with Parise might not be priority No. 1 at the moment.
But it could be a priority soon. While Devils GM Lou Lamoriello isn’t one to negotiate contracts during the season — only once has LouLam made an exception, and that was for Martin Brodeur — the unique situation at hand might force him to. There’s a strong possibility the following scenario unfolds:
– New Jersey keeps Parise past the trade deadline, unsigned.
– New Jersey misses the playoffs.
– Parise goes to July 1 and becomes an unrestricted free agent.
If this does transpire, it could be curtains for New Jersey. Parise’s stated publicly he wants to play for a winner and a team willing to spend to the cap (something the Devils might not be, regardless of what they say publicly.) There’s also the allure of being a UFA for the first time in his career in an offseason where the likes of Los Angeles, New York Rangers, Washington and Detroit are projected to have over $14 million in available cap space.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 28
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 94
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 11
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (95)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)