May 28, 2012, 2:30 PM EST
Last week it was Rick Dudley. Today it’s Scott Mellanby officially joining the revamped Montreal front office.
Mellanby becomes the new director of player personnel for the Canadiens after leaving his gig as an assistant coach in St. Louis.
“We are extremely happy to have Scott Mellanby joining the Canadiens organization,” said Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin in a release. “Scott has an impressive background and a commanding knowledge of the league, having played for 21 seasons in the NHL before holding various management positions over the last four years. Scott is known for his character and his leadership, which made him a great team captain during six seasons with the Florida Panthers and the Atlanta Thrashers. He has extensive knowledge of the game, is well respected in the hockey circles and will become an important asset for our organization.”
There’s still no word when a new head coach will be hired. The Montreal Gazette’s Dave Stubbs tweets that no announcement is imminent, as Bergevin is in Toronto Tuesday for the combine, New York Wednesday for GM meetings, then back to the combine Thursday.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)