May 28, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT
Last week it was Rick Dudley. Today it’s Scott Mellanby officially joining the revamped Montreal front office.
Mellanby becomes the new director of player personnel for the Canadiens after leaving his gig as an assistant coach in St. Louis.
“We are extremely happy to have Scott Mellanby joining the Canadiens organization,” said Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin in a release. “Scott has an impressive background and a commanding knowledge of the league, having played for 21 seasons in the NHL before holding various management positions over the last four years. Scott is known for his character and his leadership, which made him a great team captain during six seasons with the Florida Panthers and the Atlanta Thrashers. He has extensive knowledge of the game, is well respected in the hockey circles and will become an important asset for our organization.”
There’s still no word when a new head coach will be hired. The Montreal Gazette’s Dave Stubbs tweets that no announcement is imminent, as Bergevin is in Toronto Tuesday for the combine, New York Wednesday for GM meetings, then back to the combine Thursday.
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 3
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 38
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 54
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 42
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 75
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 34
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 48
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 59
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)