May 28, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT
Last week it was Rick Dudley. Today it’s Scott Mellanby officially joining the revamped Montreal front office.
Mellanby becomes the new director of player personnel for the Canadiens after leaving his gig as an assistant coach in St. Louis.
“We are extremely happy to have Scott Mellanby joining the Canadiens organization,” said Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin in a release. “Scott has an impressive background and a commanding knowledge of the league, having played for 21 seasons in the NHL before holding various management positions over the last four years. Scott is known for his character and his leadership, which made him a great team captain during six seasons with the Florida Panthers and the Atlanta Thrashers. He has extensive knowledge of the game, is well respected in the hockey circles and will become an important asset for our organization.”
There’s still no word when a new head coach will be hired. The Montreal Gazette’s Dave Stubbs tweets that no announcement is imminent, as Bergevin is in Toronto Tuesday for the combine, New York Wednesday for GM meetings, then back to the combine Thursday.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)