May 23, 2012, 3:16 PM EDT
Earlier today, we passed along a report that Luke Richardson would be leaving his assistant coaching post in Ottawa to take the Senators’ AHL gig in Binghamton.
Now it appears another assistant coaching vacancy has popped up, as Scott Mellanby has left the St. Louis Blues.
“I would like to thank the Blues organization for giving me the opportunity to coach in the National Hockey League,” Mellanby told the Blues website. “After two years of coaching I realize my passion is in the hockey operations department, which I would like to pursue.
“I have enjoyed my time here as a player and as a coach and wish nothing but the best for the Blues and their fans.”
Mellanby was one of three assistants serving under Ken Hitchcock last season, along with former Islanders head coach Brad Shaw and longtime assistant Ray Bennett.
Prior to that, Mellanby worked as a special consultant to Vancouver Canucks GM Mike Gillis.
TSN’s Bob McKenzie tweets that “it won’t be a surprise” if Mellanby ends up working for newly-hired Montreal GM Marc Bergevin.
Perron: Very sad to see @mellanby19 leave the coaching staff, a true professional & leader who taught me so much in 2 years, can’t thank you enough!”
Shattenkirk: “I want to wish @mellanby19 the best of luck as he moves on. It’s not every day that you run into great coaches. Thank you for all the help!”
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 36
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 8
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 9
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 32
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Stayin’ Alive: Canucks stage comeback of their own, send series back to Calgary 5
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 76
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)