May 23, 2012, 3:16 PM EDT
Earlier today, we passed along a report that Luke Richardson would be leaving his assistant coaching post in Ottawa to take the Senators’ AHL gig in Binghamton.
Now it appears another assistant coaching vacancy has popped up, as Scott Mellanby has left the St. Louis Blues.
“I would like to thank the Blues organization for giving me the opportunity to coach in the National Hockey League,” Mellanby told the Blues website. “After two years of coaching I realize my passion is in the hockey operations department, which I would like to pursue.
“I have enjoyed my time here as a player and as a coach and wish nothing but the best for the Blues and their fans.”
Mellanby was one of three assistants serving under Ken Hitchcock last season, along with former Islanders head coach Brad Shaw and longtime assistant Ray Bennett.
Prior to that, Mellanby worked as a special consultant to Vancouver Canucks GM Mike Gillis.
TSN’s Bob McKenzie tweets that “it won’t be a surprise” if Mellanby ends up working for newly-hired Montreal GM Marc Bergevin.
Perron: Very sad to see @mellanby19 leave the coaching staff, a true professional & leader who taught me so much in 2 years, can’t thank you enough!”
Shattenkirk: “I want to wish @mellanby19 the best of luck as he moves on. It’s not every day that you run into great coaches. Thank you for all the help!”
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 11
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 13
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 24
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 27
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 39
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)