May 23, 2012, 3:16 PM EDT
Earlier today, we passed along a report that Luke Richardson would be leaving his assistant coaching post in Ottawa to take the Senators’ AHL gig in Binghamton.
Now it appears another assistant coaching vacancy has popped up, as Scott Mellanby has left the St. Louis Blues.
“I would like to thank the Blues organization for giving me the opportunity to coach in the National Hockey League,” Mellanby told the Blues website. “After two years of coaching I realize my passion is in the hockey operations department, which I would like to pursue.
“I have enjoyed my time here as a player and as a coach and wish nothing but the best for the Blues and their fans.”
Mellanby was one of three assistants serving under Ken Hitchcock last season, along with former Islanders head coach Brad Shaw and longtime assistant Ray Bennett.
Prior to that, Mellanby worked as a special consultant to Vancouver Canucks GM Mike Gillis.
TSN’s Bob McKenzie tweets that “it won’t be a surprise” if Mellanby ends up working for newly-hired Montreal GM Marc Bergevin.
Perron: Very sad to see @mellanby19 leave the coaching staff, a true professional & leader who taught me so much in 2 years, can’t thank you enough!”
Shattenkirk: “I want to wish @mellanby19 the best of luck as he moves on. It’s not every day that you run into great coaches. Thank you for all the help!”
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (59)