May 23, 2012, 3:16 PM EDT
Earlier today, we passed along a report that Luke Richardson would be leaving his assistant coaching post in Ottawa to take the Senators’ AHL gig in Binghamton.
Now it appears another assistant coaching vacancy has popped up, as Scott Mellanby has left the St. Louis Blues.
“I would like to thank the Blues organization for giving me the opportunity to coach in the National Hockey League,” Mellanby told the Blues website. “After two years of coaching I realize my passion is in the hockey operations department, which I would like to pursue.
“I have enjoyed my time here as a player and as a coach and wish nothing but the best for the Blues and their fans.”
Mellanby was one of three assistants serving under Ken Hitchcock last season, along with former Islanders head coach Brad Shaw and longtime assistant Ray Bennett.
Prior to that, Mellanby worked as a special consultant to Vancouver Canucks GM Mike Gillis.
TSN’s Bob McKenzie tweets that “it won’t be a surprise” if Mellanby ends up working for newly-hired Montreal GM Marc Bergevin.
Perron: Very sad to see @mellanby19 leave the coaching staff, a true professional & leader who taught me so much in 2 years, can’t thank you enough!”
Shattenkirk: “I want to wish @mellanby19 the best of luck as he moves on. It’s not every day that you run into great coaches. Thank you for all the help!”
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 22
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 21
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 33
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)