May 23, 2012, 3:16 PM EST
Earlier today, we passed along a report that Luke Richardson would be leaving his assistant coaching post in Ottawa to take the Senators’ AHL gig in Binghamton.
Now it appears another assistant coaching vacancy has popped up, as Scott Mellanby has left the St. Louis Blues.
“I would like to thank the Blues organization for giving me the opportunity to coach in the National Hockey League,” Mellanby told the Blues website. “After two years of coaching I realize my passion is in the hockey operations department, which I would like to pursue.
“I have enjoyed my time here as a player and as a coach and wish nothing but the best for the Blues and their fans.”
Mellanby was one of three assistants serving under Ken Hitchcock last season, along with former Islanders head coach Brad Shaw and longtime assistant Ray Bennett.
Prior to that, Mellanby worked as a special consultant to Vancouver Canucks GM Mike Gillis.
TSN’s Bob McKenzie tweets that “it won’t be a surprise” if Mellanby ends up working for newly-hired Montreal GM Marc Bergevin.
Perron: Very sad to see @mellanby19 leave the coaching staff, a true professional & leader who taught me so much in 2 years, can’t thank you enough!”
Shattenkirk: “I want to wish @mellanby19 the best of luck as he moves on. It’s not every day that you run into great coaches. Thank you for all the help!”
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (73)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)