May 28, 2012, 9:34 PM EST
Brandon Dubinsky missed almost a month of the playoffs because of a high ankle sprain. Now it sounds like he wasn’t 100% even when he returned on May 23. With the Rangers’ season over, Dubinsky will need another six-to-eight weeks to fully recover.
Of course, the injury was merely the latest blow to what was a disappointing season for Dubinsky. After setting new career-highs in goals and points in 2010-11, Dubinsky struggled in the first season of his four-year/$16.8 million contract.
“I took a step backward this year,” said Dubinsky. “I have to take two steps forward next season.”
The big question is if Dubinsky will still be a member of the New York Rangers when he attempts to stage his comeback. Dubinsky’s name came up in the Rick Nash trade rumors prior to the trade deadline. If the Rangers go after Nash again this summer, fresh rumors will probably crop up regarding Dubinsky.
That’s not just because of Dubinsky’s potential, but also due to his cap hit. He’s costing the Rangers $4.2 million a season in cap space and they’ll have a much easier time dealing with their cap situation following a major acquisition if they also part ways with Dubinsky.
- Miller’s second straight shutout puts Canucks in NHL lead 0
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 3
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 6
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 24
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)