May 28, 2012, 9:34 PM EST
Brandon Dubinsky missed almost a month of the playoffs because of a high ankle sprain. Now it sounds like he wasn’t 100% even when he returned on May 23. With the Rangers’ season over, Dubinsky will need another six-to-eight weeks to fully recover.
Of course, the injury was merely the latest blow to what was a disappointing season for Dubinsky. After setting new career-highs in goals and points in 2010-11, Dubinsky struggled in the first season of his four-year/$16.8 million contract.
“I took a step backward this year,” said Dubinsky. “I have to take two steps forward next season.”
The big question is if Dubinsky will still be a member of the New York Rangers when he attempts to stage his comeback. Dubinsky’s name came up in the Rick Nash trade rumors prior to the trade deadline. If the Rangers go after Nash again this summer, fresh rumors will probably crop up regarding Dubinsky.
That’s not just because of Dubinsky’s potential, but also due to his cap hit. He’s costing the Rangers $4.2 million a season in cap space and they’ll have a much easier time dealing with their cap situation following a major acquisition if they also part ways with Dubinsky.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 41
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (42)