May 28, 2012, 9:34 PM EST
Brandon Dubinsky missed almost a month of the playoffs because of a high ankle sprain. Now it sounds like he wasn’t 100% even when he returned on May 23. With the Rangers’ season over, Dubinsky will need another six-to-eight weeks to fully recover.
Of course, the injury was merely the latest blow to what was a disappointing season for Dubinsky. After setting new career-highs in goals and points in 2010-11, Dubinsky struggled in the first season of his four-year/$16.8 million contract.
“I took a step backward this year,” said Dubinsky. “I have to take two steps forward next season.”
The big question is if Dubinsky will still be a member of the New York Rangers when he attempts to stage his comeback. Dubinsky’s name came up in the Rick Nash trade rumors prior to the trade deadline. If the Rangers go after Nash again this summer, fresh rumors will probably crop up regarding Dubinsky.
That’s not just because of Dubinsky’s potential, but also due to his cap hit. He’s costing the Rangers $4.2 million a season in cap space and they’ll have a much easier time dealing with their cap situation following a major acquisition if they also part ways with Dubinsky.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 0
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 0
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 5
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 0
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 9
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 6
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 15
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)