May 28, 2012, 9:34 PM EDT
Brandon Dubinsky missed almost a month of the playoffs because of a high ankle sprain. Now it sounds like he wasn’t 100% even when he returned on May 23. With the Rangers’ season over, Dubinsky will need another six-to-eight weeks to fully recover.
Of course, the injury was merely the latest blow to what was a disappointing season for Dubinsky. After setting new career-highs in goals and points in 2010-11, Dubinsky struggled in the first season of his four-year/$16.8 million contract.
“I took a step backward this year,” said Dubinsky. “I have to take two steps forward next season.”
The big question is if Dubinsky will still be a member of the New York Rangers when he attempts to stage his comeback. Dubinsky’s name came up in the Rick Nash trade rumors prior to the trade deadline. If the Rangers go after Nash again this summer, fresh rumors will probably crop up regarding Dubinsky.
That’s not just because of Dubinsky’s potential, but also due to his cap hit. He’s costing the Rangers $4.2 million a season in cap space and they’ll have a much easier time dealing with their cap situation following a major acquisition if they also part ways with Dubinsky.
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 0
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 7
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)