Feb 27, 2012, 4:51 PM EDT
Columbus GM Scott Howson rejected what is believed a Rangers’ final offer of Dubinsky, 21-year-old defenseman Tim Erixon, 2011 first-rounder J.T. Miller, 2010 second-rounder Christian Thomas and a first-round selection in this June’s Entry Draft.
And if that was Sather’s final offer, Howson was probably right to pass on it. With all due respect to the players and prospects listed above, none of them are guaranteed to make a big impact in the NHL. They absolutely might, but there are different degrees of might. For a deal to work, the Jackets needed to get at least one of Chris Kreider, Ryan McDonagh, Michael Del Zotto or Derek Stepan.
So now we look forward to the summer when Nash will almost definitely be dealt. It’ll be interesting to see if he expands his list of acceptable teams for the Jackets to send him. Nash’s agent said the list won’t change, but that might’ve just been a way to force Howson’s hand prior to the deadline.
Related: Nash requested traded, says Howson
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 17
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 15
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 16
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 11
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 30
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)