Feb 27, 2012, 4:51 PM EDT
Columbus GM Scott Howson rejected what is believed a Rangers’ final offer of Dubinsky, 21-year-old defenseman Tim Erixon, 2011 first-rounder J.T. Miller, 2010 second-rounder Christian Thomas and a first-round selection in this June’s Entry Draft.
And if that was Sather’s final offer, Howson was probably right to pass on it. With all due respect to the players and prospects listed above, none of them are guaranteed to make a big impact in the NHL. They absolutely might, but there are different degrees of might. For a deal to work, the Jackets needed to get at least one of Chris Kreider, Ryan McDonagh, Michael Del Zotto or Derek Stepan.
So now we look forward to the summer when Nash will almost definitely be dealt. It’ll be interesting to see if he expands his list of acceptable teams for the Jackets to send him. Nash’s agent said the list won’t change, but that might’ve just been a way to force Howson’s hand prior to the deadline.
Related: Nash requested traded, says Howson
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)