Feb 27, 2012, 4:51 PM EST
Columbus GM Scott Howson rejected what is believed a Rangers’ final offer of Dubinsky, 21-year-old defenseman Tim Erixon, 2011 first-rounder J.T. Miller, 2010 second-rounder Christian Thomas and a first-round selection in this June’s Entry Draft.
And if that was Sather’s final offer, Howson was probably right to pass on it. With all due respect to the players and prospects listed above, none of them are guaranteed to make a big impact in the NHL. They absolutely might, but there are different degrees of might. For a deal to work, the Jackets needed to get at least one of Chris Kreider, Ryan McDonagh, Michael Del Zotto or Derek Stepan.
So now we look forward to the summer when Nash will almost definitely be dealt. It’ll be interesting to see if he expands his list of acceptable teams for the Jackets to send him. Nash’s agent said the list won’t change, but that might’ve just been a way to force Howson’s hand prior to the deadline.
Related: Nash requested traded, says Howson
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 13
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)