May 11, 2012, 9:48 PM EDT
Daniel Alfredsson is a beloved figure in Ottawa, there’s no doubt about that. While Alfredsson is busy in Sweden at the moment participating at the World Championships, his fans back in Canada’s capital city are going all out to prove how badly they want their captain back.
Don Brennan of the Ottawa Sun tells us about one fan’s effort to try and prove to Alfredsson that Senators fans want at least one more year out of him thanks to an online petition.
One of those behind the movement is Tony Giampietro, who hopes to have 11,000 names accumulated by the time Alfredsson gets back from representing Sweden in Europe.
“We realize and appreciate that Alfie will be the one who makes the ultimate decision on whether to play another season,” said Giampietro. “Our goal is simply to demonstrate to him that Sens fans still believe that he has what it takes to lead us to a championship.”
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)