May 11, 2012, 9:48 PM EST
Daniel Alfredsson is a beloved figure in Ottawa, there’s no doubt about that. While Alfredsson is busy in Sweden at the moment participating at the World Championships, his fans back in Canada’s capital city are going all out to prove how badly they want their captain back.
Don Brennan of the Ottawa Sun tells us about one fan’s effort to try and prove to Alfredsson that Senators fans want at least one more year out of him thanks to an online petition.
One of those behind the movement is Tony Giampietro, who hopes to have 11,000 names accumulated by the time Alfredsson gets back from representing Sweden in Europe.
“We realize and appreciate that Alfie will be the one who makes the ultimate decision on whether to play another season,” said Giampietro. “Our goal is simply to demonstrate to him that Sens fans still believe that he has what it takes to lead us to a championship.”
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)