Apr 26, 2012, 11:27 PM EDT
After seeing his team drop a hard-fought Game 7 in New York, Daniel Alfredsson wore his heart on his sleeve talking about what may have been his last ride in the NHL. One thing’s for sure, he’s not ready to think about it now.
“I’ll take some time, obviously, see how I feel physically and mentally after time off. But this year has been unbelievable,” Alfredsson said.
While he may have been disappointed, Alfredsson could at least get a one-liner through in a somber Senators locker room.
“I had a lot of fun and it’s been a great group of guys to be a part of. They’ve kept me upbeat and happy when I’m a grumpy old man at times. They’ve made this year very enjoyable for me.”
Alfredsson’s season may have ended in disappointing fashion, but he had a renaissance of sorts scoring 27 goals and ending the year with 59 points. He might be 39, but he’s not playing like it.
Seeing him after the game though, you could tell this was a hard loss to take even though the Sens have lost Game 7s before during his tenure in Ottawa.
“I think it’s easier as you get older where you know you give everything you have,” Alfredsson explained.
“When it’s done, it’s done. The worst thing you can have is if you feel ‘I should’ve done this and that’ and didn’t give everything you had, then you feel pretty bad. But this group, we can definitely hold our heads high. We battled hard the whole year to even get to the playoffs and we battled these guys to the finish line.”
- Sabres’ Kane (shoulder) ‘ahead of schedule’ with recovery 4
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 29
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 16
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 75
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 32
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 58
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 14
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (58)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)