Apr 26, 2012, 11:27 PM EDT
After seeing his team drop a hard-fought Game 7 in New York, Daniel Alfredsson wore his heart on his sleeve talking about what may have been his last ride in the NHL. One thing’s for sure, he’s not ready to think about it now.
“I’ll take some time, obviously, see how I feel physically and mentally after time off. But this year has been unbelievable,” Alfredsson said.
While he may have been disappointed, Alfredsson could at least get a one-liner through in a somber Senators locker room.
“I had a lot of fun and it’s been a great group of guys to be a part of. They’ve kept me upbeat and happy when I’m a grumpy old man at times. They’ve made this year very enjoyable for me.”
Alfredsson’s season may have ended in disappointing fashion, but he had a renaissance of sorts scoring 27 goals and ending the year with 59 points. He might be 39, but he’s not playing like it.
Seeing him after the game though, you could tell this was a hard loss to take even though the Sens have lost Game 7s before during his tenure in Ottawa.
“I think it’s easier as you get older where you know you give everything you have,” Alfredsson explained.
“When it’s done, it’s done. The worst thing you can have is if you feel ‘I should’ve done this and that’ and didn’t give everything you had, then you feel pretty bad. But this group, we can definitely hold our heads high. We battled hard the whole year to even get to the playoffs and we battled these guys to the finish line.”
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 42
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 39
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)