Apr 26, 2012, 11:27 PM EST
After seeing his team drop a hard-fought Game 7 in New York, Daniel Alfredsson wore his heart on his sleeve talking about what may have been his last ride in the NHL. One thing’s for sure, he’s not ready to think about it now.
“I’ll take some time, obviously, see how I feel physically and mentally after time off. But this year has been unbelievable,” Alfredsson said.
While he may have been disappointed, Alfredsson could at least get a one-liner through in a somber Senators locker room.
“I had a lot of fun and it’s been a great group of guys to be a part of. They’ve kept me upbeat and happy when I’m a grumpy old man at times. They’ve made this year very enjoyable for me.”
Alfredsson’s season may have ended in disappointing fashion, but he had a renaissance of sorts scoring 27 goals and ending the year with 59 points. He might be 39, but he’s not playing like it.
Seeing him after the game though, you could tell this was a hard loss to take even though the Sens have lost Game 7s before during his tenure in Ottawa.
“I think it’s easier as you get older where you know you give everything you have,” Alfredsson explained.
“When it’s done, it’s done. The worst thing you can have is if you feel ‘I should’ve done this and that’ and didn’t give everything you had, then you feel pretty bad. But this group, we can definitely hold our heads high. We battled hard the whole year to even get to the playoffs and we battled these guys to the finish line.”
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 13
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 2
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 15
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 9
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)