Apr 26, 2012, 11:27 PM EDT
After seeing his team drop a hard-fought Game 7 in New York, Daniel Alfredsson wore his heart on his sleeve talking about what may have been his last ride in the NHL. One thing’s for sure, he’s not ready to think about it now.
“I’ll take some time, obviously, see how I feel physically and mentally after time off. But this year has been unbelievable,” Alfredsson said.
While he may have been disappointed, Alfredsson could at least get a one-liner through in a somber Senators locker room.
“I had a lot of fun and it’s been a great group of guys to be a part of. They’ve kept me upbeat and happy when I’m a grumpy old man at times. They’ve made this year very enjoyable for me.”
Alfredsson’s season may have ended in disappointing fashion, but he had a renaissance of sorts scoring 27 goals and ending the year with 59 points. He might be 39, but he’s not playing like it.
Seeing him after the game though, you could tell this was a hard loss to take even though the Sens have lost Game 7s before during his tenure in Ottawa.
“I think it’s easier as you get older where you know you give everything you have,” Alfredsson explained.
“When it’s done, it’s done. The worst thing you can have is if you feel ‘I should’ve done this and that’ and didn’t give everything you had, then you feel pretty bad. But this group, we can definitely hold our heads high. We battled hard the whole year to even get to the playoffs and we battled these guys to the finish line.”
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 33
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 23
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 31
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 27
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 39
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)