May 7, 2012, 9:36 PM EST
In the grand scheme of things, the best Phoenix Coyotes news from Monday night is that they have a chance to advance to the Western Conference finals with a Game 5 win against the Nashville Predators. NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and potential new owner Greg Jamison addressed the media in a press conference that Bettman deemed “over-hyped.”
Even so, let’s note the highlights from what Bettman called “an update on the situation, not a formal announcement.”
First here’s this quote via Dave Vest.
“We have an understanding with Greg Jamison that we are going to proceed with he and his group to reach a formal agreement on the purchase and sale of the Coyotes,” Bettman said.
James Mirtle and others provide Bettman’s “over-hyped” comment.
“I think what was over-hyped was our mere presence [in Phoenix],” Bettman said. “We don’t have a formal update to make.”
Here are some other details gathered from the press conference itself, which streamed live on the Phoenix Coyotes’ official site.
- Jamison still needs to finish up a deal that the City of Glendale can vote on. Generally speaking, Jamison is in the process of working with the city.
- Jamison didn’t want to name members of his ownership group for fear of causing a “distraction.”
In other words, Jamison represents the hopeful “light at the end of the tunnel” but the league, team and city have more traveling to do. When asked about his progress with Glendale, Jamison said that he hopes it will be a matter of “weeks, not months” but the same might be said for this process. Despite plenty of early optimism, there are still no concrete answers yet.
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 0
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 2
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 6
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 101
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 128
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (128)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (101)