May 7, 2012, 9:36 PM EDT
In the grand scheme of things, the best Phoenix Coyotes news from Monday night is that they have a chance to advance to the Western Conference finals with a Game 5 win against the Nashville Predators. NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and potential new owner Greg Jamison addressed the media in a press conference that Bettman deemed “over-hyped.”
Even so, let’s note the highlights from what Bettman called “an update on the situation, not a formal announcement.”
First here’s this quote via Dave Vest.
“We have an understanding with Greg Jamison that we are going to proceed with he and his group to reach a formal agreement on the purchase and sale of the Coyotes,” Bettman said.
James Mirtle and others provide Bettman’s “over-hyped” comment.
“I think what was over-hyped was our mere presence [in Phoenix],” Bettman said. “We don’t have a formal update to make.”
Here are some other details gathered from the press conference itself, which streamed live on the Phoenix Coyotes’ official site.
- Jamison still needs to finish up a deal that the City of Glendale can vote on. Generally speaking, Jamison is in the process of working with the city.
- Jamison didn’t want to name members of his ownership group for fear of causing a “distraction.”
In other words, Jamison represents the hopeful “light at the end of the tunnel” but the league, team and city have more traveling to do. When asked about his progress with Glendale, Jamison said that he hopes it will be a matter of “weeks, not months” but the same might be said for this process. Despite plenty of early optimism, there are still no concrete answers yet.
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 2
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 10
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 40
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 41
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 25
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PBT Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal