May 7, 2012, 9:36 PM EDT
In the grand scheme of things, the best Phoenix Coyotes news from Monday night is that they have a chance to advance to the Western Conference finals with a Game 5 win against the Nashville Predators. NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and potential new owner Greg Jamison addressed the media in a press conference that Bettman deemed “over-hyped.”
Even so, let’s note the highlights from what Bettman called “an update on the situation, not a formal announcement.”
First here’s this quote via Dave Vest.
“We have an understanding with Greg Jamison that we are going to proceed with he and his group to reach a formal agreement on the purchase and sale of the Coyotes,” Bettman said.
James Mirtle and others provide Bettman’s “over-hyped” comment.
“I think what was over-hyped was our mere presence [in Phoenix],” Bettman said. “We don’t have a formal update to make.”
Here are some other details gathered from the press conference itself, which streamed live on the Phoenix Coyotes’ official site.
- Jamison still needs to finish up a deal that the City of Glendale can vote on. Generally speaking, Jamison is in the process of working with the city.
- Jamison didn’t want to name members of his ownership group for fear of causing a “distraction.”
In other words, Jamison represents the hopeful “light at the end of the tunnel” but the league, team and city have more traveling to do. When asked about his progress with Glendale, Jamison said that he hopes it will be a matter of “weeks, not months” but the same might be said for this process. Despite plenty of early optimism, there are still no concrete answers yet.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)