May 7, 2012, 9:36 PM EDT
In the grand scheme of things, the best Phoenix Coyotes news from Monday night is that they have a chance to advance to the Western Conference finals with a Game 5 win against the Nashville Predators. NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and potential new owner Greg Jamison addressed the media in a press conference that Bettman deemed “over-hyped.”
Even so, let’s note the highlights from what Bettman called “an update on the situation, not a formal announcement.”
First here’s this quote via Dave Vest.
“We have an understanding with Greg Jamison that we are going to proceed with he and his group to reach a formal agreement on the purchase and sale of the Coyotes,” Bettman said.
James Mirtle and others provide Bettman’s “over-hyped” comment.
“I think what was over-hyped was our mere presence [in Phoenix],” Bettman said. “We don’t have a formal update to make.”
Here are some other details gathered from the press conference itself, which streamed live on the Phoenix Coyotes’ official site.
- Jamison still needs to finish up a deal that the City of Glendale can vote on. Generally speaking, Jamison is in the process of working with the city.
- Jamison didn’t want to name members of his ownership group for fear of causing a “distraction.”
In other words, Jamison represents the hopeful “light at the end of the tunnel” but the league, team and city have more traveling to do. When asked about his progress with Glendale, Jamison said that he hopes it will be a matter of “weeks, not months” but the same might be said for this process. Despite plenty of early optimism, there are still no concrete answers yet.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (90)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)