May 7, 2012, 9:36 PM EDT
In the grand scheme of things, the best Phoenix Coyotes news from Monday night is that they have a chance to advance to the Western Conference finals with a Game 5 win against the Nashville Predators. NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and potential new owner Greg Jamison addressed the media in a press conference that Bettman deemed “over-hyped.”
Even so, let’s note the highlights from what Bettman called “an update on the situation, not a formal announcement.”
First here’s this quote via Dave Vest.
“We have an understanding with Greg Jamison that we are going to proceed with he and his group to reach a formal agreement on the purchase and sale of the Coyotes,” Bettman said.
James Mirtle and others provide Bettman’s “over-hyped” comment.
“I think what was over-hyped was our mere presence [in Phoenix],” Bettman said. “We don’t have a formal update to make.”
Here are some other details gathered from the press conference itself, which streamed live on the Phoenix Coyotes’ official site.
- Jamison still needs to finish up a deal that the City of Glendale can vote on. Generally speaking, Jamison is in the process of working with the city.
- Jamison didn’t want to name members of his ownership group for fear of causing a “distraction.”
In other words, Jamison represents the hopeful “light at the end of the tunnel” but the league, team and city have more traveling to do. When asked about his progress with Glendale, Jamison said that he hopes it will be a matter of “weeks, not months” but the same might be said for this process. Despite plenty of early optimism, there are still no concrete answers yet.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 12
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)