May 7, 2012, 8:36 AM EDT
We’ve been down this road before so we know how quickly things can change.
According to a report out of the Phoenix Business Journal, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman will be in Glendale today to announce the league has reached a tentative deal to sell the Phoenix Coyotes to Greg Jamison. As you know by now, Jamison is the former San Jose Sharks CEO and he’s looking to close a deal to keep the team in Arizona.
Mike Sunnucks of the Phoenix Business Journal explains that if this is the case, things are still far from being completed.
It also sets the stage for a city of Glendale vote on payments to the Jamison group to facilitate the sale and help the group absorb some short-term financial losses. The Coyotes lose $20 million to $25 million per season. The city will pay new Coyotes owners to run Jobing.com Arena.
The City of Glendale has a City Council meeting slated for Tuesday, however a vote on the deal is not on the agenda and does not appear likely to be added to the docket. The Coyotes have been in ownership limbo since 2009 and if this deal is approved and gets the OK from the Goldwater Institute (meaning they won’t try to intervene with litigation), the league’s long fight to keep the team in Glendale will have paid off.
Update (10:15 a.m. ET): Kevin Allen of USA Today confirms an announcement will be made in Arizona today.
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 5
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 18
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 24
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 36
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)