May 3, 2012, 6:21 PM EDT
Last Thursday, Florida Panthers forward Kris Versteeg palyed over 28 minutes in a double-OT loss to the Devils.
On Wednesday, he was under the knife.
That’s the word from the Panthers today as the club said Versteeg successfully underwent surgery to repair a cyst problem that impaired mobility in his left hip. The procedure took place in Nashville.
Getting Versteeg back to full health was a key offseason task for the Panthers. An impending RFA, Versteeg established career-highs in goals (23) and points (54) this year while finishing third on the team in scoring.
Florida GM Dale Tallon told reporters yesterday that keeping Versteeg is high on his priority chart for the summer. The 25-year-old earned $3.08 million annually on his last deal and could be looking for a raise, especially in light of the recent contracts signed by Tuomo Ruutu (four years, $19 million) and Mikhail Grabovski (five years, $27.5 million).
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 20
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 47
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)