May 3, 2012, 6:21 PM EST
Last Thursday, Florida Panthers forward Kris Versteeg palyed over 28 minutes in a double-OT loss to the Devils.
On Wednesday, he was under the knife.
That’s the word from the Panthers today as the club said Versteeg successfully underwent surgery to repair a cyst problem that impaired mobility in his left hip. The procedure took place in Nashville.
Getting Versteeg back to full health was a key offseason task for the Panthers. An impending RFA, Versteeg established career-highs in goals (23) and points (54) this year while finishing third on the team in scoring.
Florida GM Dale Tallon told reporters yesterday that keeping Versteeg is high on his priority chart for the summer. The 25-year-old earned $3.08 million annually on his last deal and could be looking for a raise, especially in light of the recent contracts signed by Tuomo Ruutu (four years, $19 million) and Mikhail Grabovski (five years, $27.5 million).
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 17
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 82
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)