May 1, 2012, 12:15 PM EST
Tallon met with reporters today to wrap up a pleasantly surprising season that saw his team win its division and fall a goal short of advancing to the second round of the playoffs.
What’s not surprising is that Tallon wants to keep Versteeg and Garrison. The former had 54 points in 71 games; the latter finished third in goals by defensemen (16), behind only Erik Karlsson (19) and Shea Weber (19).
Given his unrestricted status, Garrison could be the toughest of the two to keep. The 27-year-old late-bloomer with the big shot would garner significant interest on the open market, and the Panthers are still a budget-conscious club.
And with Erik Gudbranson, 20, expected to play a bigger role next season and for years beyond, locking up Garrison for the long term might not provide enough bang per buck.
If Garrison walks, Tallon might regret signing Ed Jovanovski through 2014-15. But he hasn’t walked yet, and by all indications he wants to stay in Florida.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)