May 1, 2012, 12:15 PM EDT
Tallon met with reporters today to wrap up a pleasantly surprising season that saw his team win its division and fall a goal short of advancing to the second round of the playoffs.
What’s not surprising is that Tallon wants to keep Versteeg and Garrison. The former had 54 points in 71 games; the latter finished third in goals by defensemen (16), behind only Erik Karlsson (19) and Shea Weber (19).
Given his unrestricted status, Garrison could be the toughest of the two to keep. The 27-year-old late-bloomer with the big shot would garner significant interest on the open market, and the Panthers are still a budget-conscious club.
And with Erik Gudbranson, 20, expected to play a bigger role next season and for years beyond, locking up Garrison for the long term might not provide enough bang per buck.
If Garrison walks, Tallon might regret signing Ed Jovanovski through 2014-15. But he hasn’t walked yet, and by all indications he wants to stay in Florida.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 1
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 5
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 9
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Chara suffers undisclosed issue, won’t return on Thursday 14
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)