May 2, 2012, 2:13 PM EDT
The Lindsay is a unique award in that it’s the only one voted on by the players themselves. Formerly known as the Lester B. Pearson, the Lindsay is named after Hockey Hall of Famer Ted Lindsay, who was instrumental in forming the NHLPA back in the 1950s.
Some things to consider:
– The Pearson/Lindsay and Hart Trophies have not always gone hand-in-hand. Last year, Vancouver’s Daniel Sedin won the Lindsay while Anaheim’s Corey Perry won the Hart. In 2009-10, Washington’s Alex Ovechkin won the Lindsay while Vancouver’s Henrik Sedin won the Hart.
– That said, most consider the Pearson/Lindsay to be a companion of the Hart, and with good reason. Thirteen players have won both in the same season: Guy Lafleur, Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux, Mark Messier, Brett Hull, Sergei Fedorov, Eric Lindtros, Dominik Hasek, Joe Sakic, Jaromir Jagr, Martin St. Louis, Sidney Crosby and Ovechkin.
– Ovechkin is the only player in NHL history to complete the Hart-Pearson-Art Ross-Richard trophy sweep.
Anyway, here’s the poll…
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 22
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)