May 2, 2012, 2:13 PM EDT
The Lindsay is a unique award in that it’s the only one voted on by the players themselves. Formerly known as the Lester B. Pearson, the Lindsay is named after Hockey Hall of Famer Ted Lindsay, who was instrumental in forming the NHLPA back in the 1950s.
Some things to consider:
– The Pearson/Lindsay and Hart Trophies have not always gone hand-in-hand. Last year, Vancouver’s Daniel Sedin won the Lindsay while Anaheim’s Corey Perry won the Hart. In 2009-10, Washington’s Alex Ovechkin won the Lindsay while Vancouver’s Henrik Sedin won the Hart.
– That said, most consider the Pearson/Lindsay to be a companion of the Hart, and with good reason. Thirteen players have won both in the same season: Guy Lafleur, Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux, Mark Messier, Brett Hull, Sergei Fedorov, Eric Lindtros, Dominik Hasek, Joe Sakic, Jaromir Jagr, Martin St. Louis, Sidney Crosby and Ovechkin.
– Ovechkin is the only player in NHL history to complete the Hart-Pearson-Art Ross-Richard trophy sweep.
Anyway, here’s the poll…
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 17
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 18
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 76
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 95
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)