May 2, 2012, 2:13 PM EST
The Lindsay is a unique award in that it’s the only one voted on by the players themselves. Formerly known as the Lester B. Pearson, the Lindsay is named after Hockey Hall of Famer Ted Lindsay, who was instrumental in forming the NHLPA back in the 1950s.
Some things to consider:
– The Pearson/Lindsay and Hart Trophies have not always gone hand-in-hand. Last year, Vancouver’s Daniel Sedin won the Lindsay while Anaheim’s Corey Perry won the Hart. In 2009-10, Washington’s Alex Ovechkin won the Lindsay while Vancouver’s Henrik Sedin won the Hart.
– That said, most consider the Pearson/Lindsay to be a companion of the Hart, and with good reason. Thirteen players have won both in the same season: Guy Lafleur, Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux, Mark Messier, Brett Hull, Sergei Fedorov, Eric Lindtros, Dominik Hasek, Joe Sakic, Jaromir Jagr, Martin St. Louis, Sidney Crosby and Ovechkin.
– Ovechkin is the only player in NHL history to complete the Hart-Pearson-Art Ross-Richard trophy sweep.
Anyway, here’s the poll…
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 13
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 42
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 26
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 31
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 12
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)