May 2, 2012, 2:13 PM EDT
The Lindsay is a unique award in that it’s the only one voted on by the players themselves. Formerly known as the Lester B. Pearson, the Lindsay is named after Hockey Hall of Famer Ted Lindsay, who was instrumental in forming the NHLPA back in the 1950s.
Some things to consider:
— The Pearson/Lindsay and Hart Trophies have not always gone hand-in-hand. Last year, Vancouver’s Daniel Sedin won the Lindsay while Anaheim’s Corey Perry won the Hart. In 2009-10, Washington’s Alex Ovechkin won the Lindsay while Vancouver’s Henrik Sedin won the Hart.
— That said, most consider the Pearson/Lindsay to be a companion of the Hart, and with good reason. Thirteen players have won both in the same season: Guy Lafleur, Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux, Mark Messier, Brett Hull, Sergei Fedorov, Eric Lindtros, Dominik Hasek, Joe Sakic, Jaromir Jagr, Martin St. Louis, Sidney Crosby and Ovechkin.
— Ovechkin is the only player in NHL history to complete the Hart-Pearson-Art Ross-Richard trophy sweep.
Anyway, here’s the poll…
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 0
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 0
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (46)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)