May 2, 2012, 2:02 PM EDT
The NHLPA has announced that Henrik Lundqvist of the New York Rangers, Evgeni Malkin of the Pittsburgh Penguins and Steven Stamkos of the Tampa Bay Lightning have been selected as finalists for the 2011-12 Ted Lindsay Award.
Only award voted on by National Hockey League players, the Lindsay follows in the same tradition as the Lester B. Pearson award, first given out in 1970-71. Lindsay was inducted to the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1966 but is perhaps best known for organizing the NHLPA (along with Doug Harvey) in the 1950s.
As for this year’s nominees…
Nominated for both the Vezina and Hart Trophies…led the Rangers to their best regular season record since 1993-94…posted career-highs in save percentage (.903), goals-against average (1.97) and wins (39)…the first goalie to be nominated for the Pearson/Lindsay since Roberto Luongo in 2006-07.
Nominated for the Hart Trophy, won the Art Ross…led the NHL in scoring (109 points), shots on goal (339) and finished third in assists (59) and fourth in game-winning goals (nine)…this is his third Pearson/Lindsay nomination, having also received the honor in 2007-08 and 2008-09.
Nominated for the Hart Trophy, won the Maurice Richard…became the 19th player in NHL history to score 60 goals in a single season…finished second in points (97), tied for first in game-winning goals (12) and scored an NHL record five overtime goals…this is his second straight Lindsay Trophy nomination…
Fun fact: Stamkos has the chance to become just the first North American to win the award since Sidney Crosby in 2006-07. The last four trophies have gone to Daniel Sedin (2010-11) and Alex Ovechkin (2008-10).
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 29
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 112
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 80
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (112)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)