May 2, 2012, 2:02 PM EST
The NHLPA has announced that Henrik Lundqvist of the New York Rangers, Evgeni Malkin of the Pittsburgh Penguins and Steven Stamkos of the Tampa Bay Lightning have been selected as finalists for the 2011-12 Ted Lindsay Award.
Only award voted on by National Hockey League players, the Lindsay follows in the same tradition as the Lester B. Pearson award, first given out in 1970-71. Lindsay was inducted to the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1966 but is perhaps best known for organizing the NHLPA (along with Doug Harvey) in the 1950s.
As for this year’s nominees…
Nominated for both the Vezina and Hart Trophies…led the Rangers to their best regular season record since 1993-94…posted career-highs in save percentage (.903), goals-against average (1.97) and wins (39)…the first goalie to be nominated for the Pearson/Lindsay since Roberto Luongo in 2006-07.
Nominated for the Hart Trophy, won the Art Ross…led the NHL in scoring (109 points), shots on goal (339) and finished third in assists (59) and fourth in game-winning goals (nine)…this is his third Pearson/Lindsay nomination, having also received the honor in 2007-08 and 2008-09.
Nominated for the Hart Trophy, won the Maurice Richard…became the 19th player in NHL history to score 60 goals in a single season…finished second in points (97), tied for first in game-winning goals (12) and scored an NHL record five overtime goals…this is his second straight Lindsay Trophy nomination…
Fun fact: Stamkos has the chance to become just the first North American to win the award since Sidney Crosby in 2006-07. The last four trophies have gone to Daniel Sedin (2010-11) and Alex Ovechkin (2008-10).
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 0
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 23
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 9
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 38
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 48
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 13
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Can battered, slumping Stars rise above Blackhawks? 8
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (48)
- Video: Malkin, Penguins win wild, controversial one over Leafs (40)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (39)
- ‘It’s like Groundhog Day’: Schneider frustrated about backing up Brodeur (35)