May 2, 2012, 2:02 PM EST
The NHLPA has announced that Henrik Lundqvist of the New York Rangers, Evgeni Malkin of the Pittsburgh Penguins and Steven Stamkos of the Tampa Bay Lightning have been selected as finalists for the 2011-12 Ted Lindsay Award.
Only award voted on by National Hockey League players, the Lindsay follows in the same tradition as the Lester B. Pearson award, first given out in 1970-71. Lindsay was inducted to the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1966 but is perhaps best known for organizing the NHLPA (along with Doug Harvey) in the 1950s.
As for this year’s nominees…
Nominated for both the Vezina and Hart Trophies…led the Rangers to their best regular season record since 1993-94…posted career-highs in save percentage (.903), goals-against average (1.97) and wins (39)…the first goalie to be nominated for the Pearson/Lindsay since Roberto Luongo in 2006-07.
Nominated for the Hart Trophy, won the Art Ross…led the NHL in scoring (109 points), shots on goal (339) and finished third in assists (59) and fourth in game-winning goals (nine)…this is his third Pearson/Lindsay nomination, having also received the honor in 2007-08 and 2008-09.
Nominated for the Hart Trophy, won the Maurice Richard…became the 19th player in NHL history to score 60 goals in a single season…finished second in points (97), tied for first in game-winning goals (12) and scored an NHL record five overtime goals…this is his second straight Lindsay Trophy nomination…
Fun fact: Stamkos has the chance to become just the first North American to win the award since Sidney Crosby in 2006-07. The last four trophies have gone to Daniel Sedin (2010-11) and Alex Ovechkin (2008-10).
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 21
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- The Atlantic Division race is going to be fascinating 19
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 22
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 11
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 6
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 44
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 9