Apr 22, 2012, 10:51 AM EDT
Senators tough guy forward Chris Neil has a bit of a bad reputation around the league. Seeing his hit on New York’s Brian Boyle last night that wound up giving Boyle a concussion, the talk today was over whether or not Neil would hear from the league.
According to both Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos and Renaud Lavoie of RDS, Neil will not have a date with Brendan Shanahan. According to Kypreos, Neil’s hit is almost the exact opposite of the one Raffi Torres delivered to knock out Marian Hossa and earn himself a 25-game suspension.
Kypreos says Neil’s hit wasn’t late, he didn’t leave his feet to make contact with Boyle, and the head wasn’t the principle point of contact. With all of those points being big ones for deciding to take action, Neil’s hit passes the test regardless of how ugly it looked.
The hit left Rangers coach John Tortorella steamed up saying it was just as bad as Torres’ hit on Hossa. You can’t fault a coach for trying to use politics and earn an edge for his team. The Sens, meanwhile, will now have Neil in the lineup for Game 6 as they look to eliminate the top seeded Rangers.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 9
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 29
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)