Apr 21, 2012, 10:40 PM EDT
To some, it’s amazing that Ottawa Senators tough guy Chris Neil was even able to land a controversial – and according to New York Rangers head coach John Tortorella, concussive – blow on red-hot forward Brian Boyle. Earlier in Game 5, Neil was the victim of this knee-to-knee hit by Rangers newbie Chris Kreider:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
That hit wasn’t the subject of much discussion. Instead, it was Neil’s hit on Boyle later on in the third. Boyle actually looked pretty good in the limited time he played after leaving the ice briefly from the hit – he registered one of New York’s best chances – but Tortorella said that he has a concussion and that “he’s out” for Game 6.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Naturally, Tortorella wasn’t happy with the hit and even compared it to Raffi Torres’ infamous check.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Meanwhile, Arthur Staple caught up with Neil, who called the hit “clean.”
“The hit was clean,” Neil said. “When you’re cutting through the middle with your head down, you’ve got to expect to be hit.”
Again, we’ll have video of that hit soon enough, but feel free to start the debate if you’ve already seen it. Should Neil get a suspension? If so, for how long?
Going further, should Kreider sit for his knee-to-knee on Neil? Do tell.
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 1
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 19
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 22
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 15
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 23
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 38
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)