Apr 19, 2012, 1:35 PM EDT
Another day, another critique of the NHL discipline.
The 34-year-old forward was suspended four games for cross-checking Philadelphia’s Brayden Schenn in the face during Game 3, meaning Asham would miss the remainder of the opening playoff round.
On Thursday, the Pens forward expressed dismay over his punishment.
“I was surprised by the number of games,” Asham told Dave Molinari of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “I thought [Nicklas] Backstrom’s was a lot worse.”
Backstrom received one game for his cross-check to the face of Rich Peverley. In light of Asham’s comments, let’s do a video review of both incidents!
Asham on Schenn:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Backstrom on Peverley:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Not sure what constitutes “worse” in a discussion of facial cross-checks (both were pretty bad) but Asham punctuated his by punching Schenn afterward…so there’s that.
There’s also the not-so-tiny issue of Asham being the guy that put Jay Beagle to sleep — a clip with horrible optics that got a lot of airtime. When it came time to punish for the Schenn cross-check, it probably didn’t play into Asham’s favor that he was the instigator of another highly-publicized act of violence.
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 14
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 37
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 149
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 4
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (149)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)