Apr 18, 2012, 2:04 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals have issued the following statement on their team website:
We disagree with the NHL’s decision to suspend Nicklas Backstrom.
This has been a competitive and physical series, and we do not understand why a suspension was imposed in this case while other incidents in this series have not been reviewed.
Our singular focus now is on Game 4, and we look forward to the energy that our great fans provide.
As reported earlier, Backstrom was suspended one game for cross-checking Boston’s Rich Peverley in the face. He’ll sit out Thursday’s contest as a result, something the Capitals are clearly not happy with.
Washington players were also critical of the Backstrom suspension, according to the Washington Times:
“Sometimes you think it’s right decision, sometimes it’s not, sometimes you want to laugh,” captain Alex Ovechkin said. “So right now I think it’s kind of bad decision. But there is nothing you can do.”
Defenseman Karl Alzner believed Backstrom cross-checked Boston Bruins forward Rich Peverley to the face by accident but still was not surprised by the suspension.
“Not really. See for yourself, it doesn’t look good,” Alzner said. “I haven’t heard any of the reasoning why it’s a game, why it’s not more games, why it’s [not] no games. I haven’t heard any of the explanation. That’s kind of what we were expecting: match penalty.”
And finally, some feedback from the Twittersphere:
Joe Haggerty, CSNNE.com: “Words from Caps’ statement would probably have more clout if it actually came out of George McPhee’s mouth rather than in faceless statement.”
Jamie Baker, CSN Bay Area: “So now I’m really confused b/c the Capitals said they are confused but I thought everyone in hockey was already confused. #SoConfusing”
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 8
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 24
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 12
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 46
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (48)