Apr 18, 2012, 8:49 PM EST
Washington Capitals defenseman Karl Alzner is listed at around 206 lbs., which only puts him about 15 behind Boston Bruins behemoth Milan Lucic depending upon the source. So in the most superficial way, he could probably drop the gloves with his increasingly hated rival if he wanted to.
Luckily for Alzner and the Capitals defense corps as a whole, he’s wise enough to avoid such a scenario, as he told CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty.
“It was funny because I said something on twitter a while ago that ‘if [Alzner and Lucic] were ever to fight I’d obviously win…haha.’ With “haha” being obvious sarcasm,” Alzner said. “I don’t think anybody understood that, but he is not a guy that I would want to fight. That’s for sure.”
“He’s got to be one of the top 10 one of the toughest guys in the league pound-for-pound and everybody knows that.”
Lucic isn’t one of the league’s most frequent fighters, but he’s easily one of the most feared power forwards in the NHL. Considering the fact that Hockey Fights credits Alzner with exactly one NHL fight (a “loss” to Steve Downie on Jan. 13), it’s good to know he’s self-aware enough to realize that he should keep his gloves on no matter how heated the yapping gets.
- PHT interviews Jim Nill, who’s ‘not surprised’ by Stars’ early-season struggles 0
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 3
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 8
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 22
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24