Apr 18, 2012, 8:49 PM EDT
Washington Capitals defenseman Karl Alzner is listed at around 206 lbs., which only puts him about 15 behind Boston Bruins behemoth Milan Lucic depending upon the source. So in the most superficial way, he could probably drop the gloves with his increasingly hated rival if he wanted to.
Luckily for Alzner and the Capitals defense corps as a whole, he’s wise enough to avoid such a scenario, as he told CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty.
“It was funny because I said something on twitter a while ago that ‘if [Alzner and Lucic] were ever to fight I’d obviously win…haha.’ With “haha” being obvious sarcasm,” Alzner said. “I don’t think anybody understood that, but he is not a guy that I would want to fight. That’s for sure.”
“He’s got to be one of the top 10 one of the toughest guys in the league pound-for-pound and everybody knows that.”
Lucic isn’t one of the league’s most frequent fighters, but he’s easily one of the most feared power forwards in the NHL. Considering the fact that Hockey Fights credits Alzner with exactly one NHL fight (a “loss” to Steve Downie on Jan. 13), it’s good to know he’s self-aware enough to realize that he should keep his gloves on no matter how heated the yapping gets.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 46
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 68
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)