Apr 18, 2012, 8:49 PM EDT
Washington Capitals defenseman Karl Alzner is listed at around 206 lbs., which only puts him about 15 behind Boston Bruins behemoth Milan Lucic depending upon the source. So in the most superficial way, he could probably drop the gloves with his increasingly hated rival if he wanted to.
Luckily for Alzner and the Capitals defense corps as a whole, he’s wise enough to avoid such a scenario, as he told CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty.
“It was funny because I said something on twitter a while ago that ‘if [Alzner and Lucic] were ever to fight I’d obviously win…haha.’ With “haha” being obvious sarcasm,” Alzner said. “I don’t think anybody understood that, but he is not a guy that I would want to fight. That’s for sure.”
“He’s got to be one of the top 10 one of the toughest guys in the league pound-for-pound and everybody knows that.”
Lucic isn’t one of the league’s most frequent fighters, but he’s easily one of the most feared power forwards in the NHL. Considering the fact that Hockey Fights credits Alzner with exactly one NHL fight (a “loss” to Steve Downie on Jan. 13), it’s good to know he’s self-aware enough to realize that he should keep his gloves on no matter how heated the yapping gets.
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)