Apr 18, 2012, 8:49 PM EST
Washington Capitals defenseman Karl Alzner is listed at around 206 lbs., which only puts him about 15 behind Boston Bruins behemoth Milan Lucic depending upon the source. So in the most superficial way, he could probably drop the gloves with his increasingly hated rival if he wanted to.
Luckily for Alzner and the Capitals defense corps as a whole, he’s wise enough to avoid such a scenario, as he told CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty.
“It was funny because I said something on twitter a while ago that ‘if [Alzner and Lucic] were ever to fight I’d obviously win…haha.’ With “haha” being obvious sarcasm,” Alzner said. “I don’t think anybody understood that, but he is not a guy that I would want to fight. That’s for sure.”
“He’s got to be one of the top 10 one of the toughest guys in the league pound-for-pound and everybody knows that.”
Lucic isn’t one of the league’s most frequent fighters, but he’s easily one of the most feared power forwards in the NHL. Considering the fact that Hockey Fights credits Alzner with exactly one NHL fight (a “loss” to Steve Downie on Jan. 13), it’s good to know he’s self-aware enough to realize that he should keep his gloves on no matter how heated the yapping gets.
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 0
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 31
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 29
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 65
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (65)