Milan Lucic and Karl Alzner don’t seem to care for each other

Apr 17, 2012, 9:52 AM EDT

Milan Lucic, Brooks Laich AP

Last night’s Bruins-Capitals Game 3 saw the nastiness level jump up a bit.

As the teams battled late in the third period, Milan Lucic and Karl Alzner came together with Alzner putting Lucic in a headlock. While Lucic was penalized on the play, Alzner was not and skated away mocking Lucic by wiping away a fake tear.

Milan Lucic a crybaby? That’s what Alzner seems to think and as Lucic tells Chuck Gormley of CSNWashington.com, he finds it all too amusing.

“I don’t even know what to say to show that I’m not a crybaby,” Lucic said with a laugh. “That’s a lot coming from a guy who’s got three roughing penalties in two years. So there you go.”

If anything, that sounds like an open invitation for Alzner to engage Lucic whenever he feels like having a go. With the rough stuff picking up, the Capitals may have woken up what was a sleepy team. The Bruins thrive on physical shenanigans and last night’s game saw its fair share of them from both sides.

As for Alzner, if he plans on antagonizing Lucic further he might want to avoid dropping the gloves. Lucic as a fighter is a mean, tough customer to handle.

1. odj810 - Apr 17, 2012 at 9:59 AM

He’ll probably bait him into a penalty next game, lucic has to no theres no way he’s gonna drop the gloves with him

2. bergeronforselke - Apr 17, 2012 at 10:14 AM

maybe not a fight but a nice steamrolling hit will do the trick

3. dropthepuckeh - Apr 17, 2012 at 10:16 AM

I think its pretty clear what the Cap are trying to do and to get Lucic to take a stupid penalty. I really don’t think Alzner has any intention of fighting him, at least in a clean, one on one drop the gloves type of fight. If he does, awesome. I am pretty sure Lucic will welcome the challenge. Until then I expect to see Wideman, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Alzner, Chemara, and whomever else I missed continue to use their sticks as weapons and also as a way to keep space between them and the Bruins until they have numbers and/or linesmen in-between them. Stupid move on the Caps, they are a more skilled team but they can’t win if they want to play dirty or even just physical. Bruins in five.

4. terriers4 - Apr 17, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Caps need to watch out and realize that Bruins thrive off of the scrums and fights. After that Lucic Alzner crap towards the end, Bruins dominated that shift and put one away to win the game. Caps just need to be aware not to poke the bear

• kantnockdahustle89 - Apr 17, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Couldnt agree with you more. Ovechkin is only focused on hitting and off his game. The rest of the Caps just need to stick to their game if they want to win. Playing a tough man game with little or no toughness is not going to end well with them. You put old John Erskine in though and things may change a little.

• jpelle82 - Apr 17, 2012 at 1:14 PM

i wouldnt be surprised if erskine is in for next game. i will also be interested to see who they call up if backstrom gets suspended (though i think he should only get a $2500 fine)

5. mcmurphy22 - Apr 17, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Hard to blame Alzner, obviously trying to get looch to take a penalty, but doing it in about as cowardly a way as possible. Really playing into the bruins style. Still, not half as dirty as backstroms cross check to rich perverlys grill. And could someone take a shot at Seguin? Kid is sleeping through the playoffs.

• 8spokedb - Apr 17, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Julien should sit Seguin for a game to give him a wake up call. Dress his roommate Caron for a game to light a fire under his ass. He’s been a timid turnover machine. Maybe a healthy scratch and view from up top will wake him up.

• derekl1113 - Apr 17, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Love the idea! Maybe it will spark him like it did Kessel a few years back?

• bcjim - Apr 17, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Please sit Seguin, by all means.

Sincerely,
        Caps Fans.

He and PB are the only Bruins that strike any offensive fear into anyone.

6. grimlock410 - Apr 17, 2012 at 11:29 AM

The bruins are the dirtiest team in the league bar none. After every whistle Douchecic goes after Backstrom and Greens, the two guys who had concussions heads, yanking on there helmets going for the headlock. The bruins are the saints of the nhl.

• derekl1113 - Apr 17, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Douchecic! Good one. Very funny. Dope.

• hockeyflow33 - Apr 17, 2012 at 12:31 PM

This may be the worst attempt at wordplay I have ever seen. I literally had to take a minute to figure out what this awful attempt at humor was.

• drewsylvania - Apr 17, 2012 at 12:33 PM

You used different words this time, but I know it’s you, habsman! You can’t hide!

• pepper2011 - Apr 17, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Yeah couldn’t disagree with you more. Can you please give me an example(s) of when or how the Bruins are dirty. I’ll give you marchand; although since his suspension he has cleaned up the ducking and slew footing. Other than that there is not one other player on this team; assuming you knew anything about hockey – you could consider dirty or cheap. Lucic won’t put up with stuff; none of the Bruins will – you hit them, they will hit you back- Last night for example – Lucic was cross checked by hendricks(normal post whistle stuff) and lucic punched him, hendricks punched back- fine two guys standing their ground – either call them both or none. BUT wait then Alzner comes in and attacks Lucic. I don’t get how this makes Lucic dirty? because he then went nuts and tried to get alzner? Part of the game is intimidation – every single time seguin or krejci touch the puck; Laich or Chimera are there to give and extra two hands across the back or ribs- as bruins do the same to perrault and Johanson – I think most real hockey fans are alright with that stuff- The stuff that is really bothersome are the cross checks to the face, the nut shots, the Carkner or Adams type sucker punching- The Bruins DO NOT do that at all. a glove to the face while there are 8 guys in the crease- that’s hockey. Do you really think Krejci would instigate/engage Brouwer? a) brouwer has about 50lbs on him and b) from a pure matchup point of view the Bruins lose a lot more – Brouwer is a nice player but not a #1 center.

• daveothebraveo85 - Apr 17, 2012 at 1:05 PM

While I wouldn’t necessarily label anyone as ‘dirty’ or ‘cheap’, I wouldn’t exactly nominate Bergeron or Chara, Marchand or Seidenberg or any of the others as candidates for sainthood… Shaking the helmet/facemask of a player fresh off a long vacation due to a severe concussion isn’t exactly the epitome of class.. But, gotta give credit where credit’s due.. talk is one thing, but both teams are equally guilty thus far of doing cheap sh*t. I just think it’s working more in Boston’s favor so it’s easier to label them as cheap and dirty. Just my opinion.

• homelanddefense - Apr 17, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Dave, Bergeron…..are you kidding me? He is one of the most stand up guys in the league.

• daveothebraveo85 - Apr 17, 2012 at 1:17 PM

..nope. Not kidding, but also don’t think he’s anywhere close to being dirty or cheap.

• pepper2011 - Apr 17, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Really? maybe a player fresh of a concussion shouldn’t be cross checking people and taking multiple swipes at a goalie once the put is covered. The Bruins are not targeting him- he if anything is making himself a target. It’s the same argument with Crosby if he wasn’t so cheap or dirty/classless himself he wouldn’t find himself getting punched. Bergeron and Laich are two very good examples. You don’t really see either one of those guys getting punched or grabbed for two long because they play the game right. Backstrom doesn’t. He is a heck of a talent, but he acts like it, and that’s not gonna fly, just like it doesn’t fly with crosby. Another good example is ovi- he got the stick inbetween peverely’s legs which is why peverley tripped/slashed him. Ovi knew it; that’s why he didn’t (over) react. The Seidenberg & Ovechkin hitting battle is awesome- they are crushing each other, but it’s all legal. The Bruins will defend their goal as will any other team not named the sabres- if Backstrom is gonna go poking around in there; he’s probably gonna have to pay the price, if he’s gonna cross check people; he’s gonna pay the price. If that was Krejci or Seguin in there pounding away on Holtby’s glove do you think he or any other teammates would react? If your answer is not yes, you team has no soul. Please, post a link to anything that shows the Bruins instigating a dirty play or headshot/grab on backstrom- They certainly have not done anything as egregious as Backstrom’s cross check on Peverley or the Cross check to Krejci’s head. Your innocent playmaker is leading your team in PIM by a long shot

• pepper2011 - Apr 17, 2012 at 1:32 PM

and dave.. what are you talking about then; it’s kind of a contradiction. Bergeron is pretty much a lady byng candidate every year. He gets a whopping 20 pims a year- mostly tripping or holding calls on agressive forechecking which only about 50% of those are deserved.

• daveothebraveo85 - Apr 17, 2012 at 1:34 PM

I would agree with everything you said there Pepper, which again, all I’m saying is, acknowledge the fact that the teams are evenly matched and that dirty stuff is happenning on both sides, that’s all. That’s how I see it, but I’m a huge Caps fan, you’re (I’m assuming) a huge Bruins fan, so the fight continues. I’m not trying to instigate or cause an issue and finally arguing with someone who knows anything about the game is a relief to be honest. And honestly dude, all you have to do is watch after the whistle is blown, there’s a lot of chirping (from both sides) a lot of sneaky sh*t (from both sides), stuff designed to intimidate (like you said) and irk the other to throw off their game. It happens. It’s hockey. I love it. Just saying that, in order for Washington to advance, they can’t play that game, they just need to cold skate away or they will pay the price in penalties and ultimately a lot of bumps, scrapes, bruises and insults that no one can sustain for weeks on end…

• jpelle82 - Apr 17, 2012 at 1:16 PM

the penguins seem to want that namesake more than the b’s these days

7. lordstanley65 - Apr 17, 2012 at 12:00 PM

That has got to be the stupidest statement I have read all morning,Grimlock. Watch much hockey,troll? Try watching the Canucks, or what the Pens are doing before you open your mouth. Idiot.

• grimlock410 - Apr 17, 2012 at 12:26 PM

No ones talking about what some teams goons do on the periphery of the real play their core players start S after every single stop… derekl1113 Dope really and you want to talk about my post. I mean dope come on. And lordstanley65 to think someone calling the bruins dirty is a troll you must watch zero hockey.

• drewsylvania - Apr 17, 2012 at 12:36 PM

You’re covering yourself in fail with every poorly-written sentence.

8. daveothebraveo85 - Apr 17, 2012 at 12:33 PM

The Caps will be just fine if they can learn to let the sh*t that happens after the play roll off of their backs. With Boston’s shameful powerplay unit and an embrace of Hunter’s defensive style of play, the Caps don’t have a lot to worry about with your standard game-play penalties, although they could stand to take a few less of them. It’s unsettling how transparent Boston’s attempts are to irk Washington and throw them off of their game, but as long as it continues to work, Boston will come out with the W. It’s the stupid stuff after the play that is going to kill Washington. The Bruins thrive on getting under the skin of their opponents and with a roster full of guys like Marchand and Chara ever ready to brush past your goaltender or chirp while skating away, or the perennial favorite of throwing a sneaky shoulder or elbow just out of the ref’s view, they’ll succeed in baiting you every time if you let them. Washington’s proven that they are evenly matched with Boston if they can just stay calm and collected and not let Boston pick at them like a scab.

• pepper2011 - Apr 17, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Actually they haven’t proven that at all. the Bruins have player terrible for the first two games and only ok in the third game and they still have 2-1 lead. Boston’s D has dominated the caps top players, and that is not gonna change- What I do see changing is the Caps ability to shut down Bostons top two lines. Holtby has been terrible when he is actually challenged. He is very good positionally, but he give up huge rebounds and blocking 20-30 shots a night is gonna wear on the likes of Green, Hamirlik and Wideman. And oh my are you telling me the Bruins “chirp while skating away”? – put your big boy pants on it’s playoff hockey! please post a link to any sort of sneaky “elbow or shoulder that is out of the refs view” that the Bruins have done? just one would be nice. I am sure Alzner wouldn’t chirp or maybe Chimera or Laich they just go about their business and nothing else. You should try paying attention to the games- they are pretty good. I will be waiting for a video of a chara or marchand elbow or goalie brushing- or were these out of the camera’s view as well?

• daveothebraveo85 - Apr 17, 2012 at 1:12 PM

..and the internet births another tough guy. See my reply to your earlier post before blowing like Vesuvius bud. I trust you know how to use youtube, or, since you pay better attention to the game than anyone else and clearly aren’t bias to one team or another, I won’t waste my time posting links. Furthermore, never said there was a problem with the way Boston plays, in fact, I believe if you go back and actually read what I wrote, I say on more than one occasion that it’s working for Boston. The point was that Washington will do fine if they don’t let it get to them. Lastly, I wouldnt’ exactly call allowing 3 goals last night ‘Dominating’ by any means. But what do I know…apparently I don’t actually pay attention to the games…

• homelanddefense - Apr 17, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Dave you are completely out to lunch. The Bruins players dont chirp while skating away, they are basically BEGGING Washington players to confront them. And they dont throw hidden elbows away from the ref…..they are tough but they play tough in the open. and will drop the gloves if you want to hold them accountable. Not sure what you are taking about.

Especially commenting on an article where Alzner was essentially a 3rd man in…then waited until Lucic was pulled away and Alzner was behind a linesman to taught him. Seems a little contradictory to your theory.

• homelanddefense - Apr 17, 2012 at 1:19 PM

autocorrect got me. Taunt him

• daveothebraveo85 - Apr 17, 2012 at 1:29 PM

I’m stating my opinions and my observations watching the games and what I believe Washington needs to do in order to advance. We’re clearly aligned differently and seeing two different games. I see what you’re saying, not defending Alzner, don’t believe I did, and I’ve said above that both teams are guilty of doing stupid sh*t. I’ve acknowledged it in every post, so, to call me ‘out to lunch’ before saying that Boston is completely innocent of doing stupid stuff after the play is a little ridiculous. You’re entitled to your opinion and observations and I to mine. Not saying any of you are wrong, or right. I just agree to disagree. Ultimately we’ll see who the better team is, and, in the event that’s Boston, then I’d love to see Boston win it all. You always want to be beaten by the best, but give credit where credit is due dude.. there’s chippy, messed up stuff happening on both sides and the teams are evenly matched.

• pepper2011 - Apr 17, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Dave – you not so much of a tough guy – and self proclaiming it? – just sort of makes you look narcissistic

• daveothebraveo85 - Apr 17, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Yawn.

9. soro17 - Apr 17, 2012 at 12:47 PM

I’m pretty sure this goes back to their minor hockey days. Alzner’s BWC team used to wipe the floor with Lucic’s squad and Alzner is probably having a hard time dealing with it.

10. BurkieInBoston - Apr 17, 2012 at 3:08 PM

@MikeGiardi Chris Kelly with the line of the day when asked about Lucic being a crybaby. “I don’t think he’s ever cried, not even as a baby.”

11. homelanddefense - Apr 18, 2012 at 12:10 PM

what happened to all the comments, they are gone?

• homelanddefense - Apr 18, 2012 at 12:11 PM

haha, now that I commented I can see them again

12. homelanddefense - Apr 19, 2012 at 10:21 AM

good to see he backed down

Detroit must exploit Boston's young D