Apr 16, 2012, 9:53 AM EDT
You don’t usually hear from the NHL’s VP of Player Safety Brendan Shanahan once he’s handed out punishment, but he made a stop on the Boomer & Carton radio show on WFAN in New York City and had some fascinating things to say about his decisions in the postseason.
One incident he was grilled about was the fine given to Nashville captain Shea Weber for his WWE head-smash of Detroit’s Henrik Zetterberg. Shanahan told Boomer & Carton that he was really close to banning Weber for a game (audio) but was saved by none other than Red Wings GM Ken Holland.
“I looked at that one and I’m not happy with that play,” Shanahan said. “I investigated that hit. I called Detroit that night. I think that (Weber) pushed (Zetterberg’s) face in the glass. I was really close to a one-game suspension on that and when I talked to Detroit and I talked to (Ken Holland) he basically said the player was fine.”
We know that punishing the intent of the play is what should happen and that punishing for injury (or not punishing for a lack of one) looks reactionary, but I’m willing to give Shanahan a break here for being open and honest enough to give a look into how the process goes for this.
Of course, that doesn’t take away from the seeming lack of common sense that happens when these instances are discussed. It would seem logical that a nasty play with ill intent would be punished, but things are different in the NHL whether we like it or not.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 9
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 14
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 30
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 42
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 45
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)