Apr 16, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT
But that’s not all he said.
Alfredsson also told reporters he might play in Game 3 on Monday, a decision that’s come under scrutiny by one of Canada’s leading neurosurgeons.
Dr. Charles Tator — a volunteer with ThinkFirst, a none-profit group that deals with brain and spinal cord injury prevention — strongly advises against Alfredsson returning too quickly from his concussion.
“It’s not what we recommend,” Tator told the National Post. “We recommend that there should be a six-step process that you go through after a concussion to determine whether you’re ready to return to play.
“So if you have 24 hours between steps, it really means a week off. In our view, to try to give the brain enough opportunity to recover, we recommend a week.”
Alfredsson will be a game-time decision tonight, despite the fact he’s now suffered two concussions in the span of six months. The Senators captain suffered the first one in October when then-Rangers forward Wojtek Wolski caught him with an elbow to the head. Alfredsson missed five games — almost two full weeks of action — as a result.
Tator expressed concern over the 39-year-old putting himself at risk with a quick return this time around.
“[Alfredsson's] probably doing himself a disservice by coming back too early,” he said.
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)