Apr 16, 2012, 2:30 PM EST
But that’s not all he said.
Alfredsson also told reporters he might play in Game 3 on Monday, a decision that’s come under scrutiny by one of Canada’s leading neurosurgeons.
Dr. Charles Tator — a volunteer with ThinkFirst, a none-profit group that deals with brain and spinal cord injury prevention — strongly advises against Alfredsson returning too quickly from his concussion.
“It’s not what we recommend,” Tator told the National Post. “We recommend that there should be a six-step process that you go through after a concussion to determine whether you’re ready to return to play.
“So if you have 24 hours between steps, it really means a week off. In our view, to try to give the brain enough opportunity to recover, we recommend a week.”
Alfredsson will be a game-time decision tonight, despite the fact he’s now suffered two concussions in the span of six months. The Senators captain suffered the first one in October when then-Rangers forward Wojtek Wolski caught him with an elbow to the head. Alfredsson missed five games — almost two full weeks of action — as a result.
Tator expressed concern over the 39-year-old putting himself at risk with a quick return this time around.
“[Alfredsson’s] probably doing himself a disservice by coming back too early,” he said.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 0
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 6
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 9
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 24
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)