Apr 16, 2012, 11:22 AM EST
After seeing Daniel Alfredsson leave Game 2 against the Rangers with an apparent head injury thanks to Carl Hagelin‘s errant elbow, it was hard to imagine we’d see him back in time for Game 3. As it was, Alfredsson didn’t skate with the team yesterday at practice and wasn’t even in the building for it.
A funny thing happened this morning in Ottawa as Alfredsson was on the ice for the team’s morning skate. Renaud Lavoie of RDS reports that Alfredsson will be a game-time decision for tonight’s game. Meanwhile, Alfredsson confirmed for reporters that he did, indeed, suffer a concussion from Hagelin’s elbow.
Say what you will about how to handle player’s with a concussion, but Alfredsson has been through that routine once this year and you’d have to assume he would know how his body handles things best. Then again, he might just be doing the captain-like thing and shrugging off injury to help the team win. If Alfredsson plays, there’s little doubt all eyes will be on him to see how he handles the game.
What will be curious to see is if the Rangers will appeal Hagelin’s suspension before tonight’s game. The Rangers have the right to do that and with Alfredsson being this close to returning to action, the Rangers might have a case to have his suspension reduced. Since injury was taken into account for Hagelin’s ban, seeing Alfredsson return for the next game would give him a good argument to return.
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 10
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 40
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (40)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)