Apr 16, 2012, 11:22 AM EDT
After seeing Daniel Alfredsson leave Game 2 against the Rangers with an apparent head injury thanks to Carl Hagelin‘s errant elbow, it was hard to imagine we’d see him back in time for Game 3. As it was, Alfredsson didn’t skate with the team yesterday at practice and wasn’t even in the building for it.
A funny thing happened this morning in Ottawa as Alfredsson was on the ice for the team’s morning skate. Renaud Lavoie of RDS reports that Alfredsson will be a game-time decision for tonight’s game. Meanwhile, Alfredsson confirmed for reporters that he did, indeed, suffer a concussion from Hagelin’s elbow.
Say what you will about how to handle player’s with a concussion, but Alfredsson has been through that routine once this year and you’d have to assume he would know how his body handles things best. Then again, he might just be doing the captain-like thing and shrugging off injury to help the team win. If Alfredsson plays, there’s little doubt all eyes will be on him to see how he handles the game.
What will be curious to see is if the Rangers will appeal Hagelin’s suspension before tonight’s game. The Rangers have the right to do that and with Alfredsson being this close to returning to action, the Rangers might have a case to have his suspension reduced. Since injury was taken into account for Hagelin’s ban, seeing Alfredsson return for the next game would give him a good argument to return.
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 8
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 29
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)