Apr 16, 2012, 11:22 AM EDT
After seeing Daniel Alfredsson leave Game 2 against the Rangers with an apparent head injury thanks to Carl Hagelin‘s errant elbow, it was hard to imagine we’d see him back in time for Game 3. As it was, Alfredsson didn’t skate with the team yesterday at practice and wasn’t even in the building for it.
A funny thing happened this morning in Ottawa as Alfredsson was on the ice for the team’s morning skate. Renaud Lavoie of RDS reports that Alfredsson will be a game-time decision for tonight’s game. Meanwhile, Alfredsson confirmed for reporters that he did, indeed, suffer a concussion from Hagelin’s elbow.
Say what you will about how to handle player’s with a concussion, but Alfredsson has been through that routine once this year and you’d have to assume he would know how his body handles things best. Then again, he might just be doing the captain-like thing and shrugging off injury to help the team win. If Alfredsson plays, there’s little doubt all eyes will be on him to see how he handles the game.
What will be curious to see is if the Rangers will appeal Hagelin’s suspension before tonight’s game. The Rangers have the right to do that and with Alfredsson being this close to returning to action, the Rangers might have a case to have his suspension reduced. Since injury was taken into account for Hagelin’s ban, seeing Alfredsson return for the next game would give him a good argument to return.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 9
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 72
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)