Apr 13, 2012, 8:26 PM EST
Detroit’s Todd Bertuzzi didn’t waste any time before paying Shea Weber back for shoving Henrik Zetterberg’s head into the boards during Game 1 on Wednesday. The two got into a scrap at just 1:36 of the first period.
Zetterberg took offense to Weber’s actions on Wednesday, calling the hit “dirty.” The incident occurred late in the game and resulted in Weber getting a $2,500 fine. Given that he will earn $7.5 million this season, that’s not exactly a harsh sentence.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The Bertuzzi fight sent a message and put the incident behind them early, which probably worked in Detroit’s favor. Mike Babcock seemed to think so, given that he reportedly applauded Bertuzzi. They needed to focus on winning Friday rather than simply getting Weber back and after the fight, they appeared to do just that. Ian White and Cory Emmerton each scored a goal to give Detroit a 2-0 lead going into the first intermission.
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 0
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 2
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 2
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (46)