Apr 12, 2012, 3:55 PM EDT
According to ESPN’s Craig Custance, the Red Wings will have to get Zetterberg a new helmet.
Custance reports that Zetterberg’s helmet was cracked on the play, which occurred late in the third period of Nashville’s 3-2 Game 1 victory. NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan fined Weber $2,500 for actions deemed “reckless and reactionary,” but didn’t suspend the All-Star defenseman.
On Thursday, Zetterberg spoke about getting his head repeatedly slammed into the glass.
“You get a little dizzy right away,” he said of the Weber hit. “I thought it was dirty.
“I didn’t really know what happened when it happened. It was fun to see it afterwards. In my view, it looked pretty bad.”
Zetterberg also stated he took a base-line test after last night’s game and passed, ruling out a concussion.
No word yet on the helmet’s timetable for return, though there are fears its career could be in jeopardy.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 16
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 22
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (145)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (99)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)