Apr 4, 2012, 2:04 PM EST
Brooks Laich might’ve just ruined the Capitals’ playoff hopes with that reckless guarantee.
At least, that’s Ryan Miller’s theory.
Buffalo’s starting goalie was asked about Laich’s “We’re making the playoffs” comment, and Miller’s response was, well, pretty smart actually.
“It’s distracting,” he told reporters, as per the Washington Times. “Hopefully, it’s a huge distraction for them. Some guys don’t react well to that. Guys might tighten up. Maybe their goaltenders – young goaltenders – aren’t going to react well to a guaranteed victory by their veteran guy. I think they start thinking about it.”
Not to mention, if you had to pick a team to choke, Washington would be a good choice. Yesterday, popular Capitals blog Japers’ Rink listed 10 games besides Tuesday’s loss to Florida that the Caps might regret losing.
It’s a convincing list, full of blown leads and winnable games that weren’t won.
The Caps are in the driver’s seat in the race for eighth in the East. Win out and they’re in. And on paper they’ve got an easier schedule (vs. Florida, at NY Rangers) than Buffalo (at Philly, at Boston).
Can’t trust them though.
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 9
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 3
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 10
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 20
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11
- Russia’s economic crisis causing big trouble for KHL 56
- Eakins calls for patience in Edmonton, whether fans ‘like it or not’ 15