Apr 4, 2012, 2:04 PM EDT
Brooks Laich might’ve just ruined the Capitals’ playoff hopes with that reckless guarantee.
At least, that’s Ryan Miller’s theory.
Buffalo’s starting goalie was asked about Laich’s “We’re making the playoffs” comment, and Miller’s response was, well, pretty smart actually.
“It’s distracting,” he told reporters, as per the Washington Times. “Hopefully, it’s a huge distraction for them. Some guys don’t react well to that. Guys might tighten up. Maybe their goaltenders – young goaltenders – aren’t going to react well to a guaranteed victory by their veteran guy. I think they start thinking about it.”
Not to mention, if you had to pick a team to choke, Washington would be a good choice. Yesterday, popular Capitals blog Japers’ Rink listed 10 games besides Tuesday’s loss to Florida that the Caps might regret losing.
It’s a convincing list, full of blown leads and winnable games that weren’t won.
The Caps are in the driver’s seat in the race for eighth in the East. Win out and they’re in. And on paper they’ve got an easier schedule (vs. Florida, at NY Rangers) than Buffalo (at Philly, at Boston).
Can’t trust them though.
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 23
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 21
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 39
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 23
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 53
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)