Apr 4, 2012, 2:04 PM EDT
Brooks Laich might’ve just ruined the Capitals’ playoff hopes with that reckless guarantee.
At least, that’s Ryan Miller’s theory.
Buffalo’s starting goalie was asked about Laich’s “We’re making the playoffs” comment, and Miller’s response was, well, pretty smart actually.
“It’s distracting,” he told reporters, as per the Washington Times. “Hopefully, it’s a huge distraction for them. Some guys don’t react well to that. Guys might tighten up. Maybe their goaltenders – young goaltenders – aren’t going to react well to a guaranteed victory by their veteran guy. I think they start thinking about it.”
Not to mention, if you had to pick a team to choke, Washington would be a good choice. Yesterday, popular Capitals blog Japers’ Rink listed 10 games besides Tuesday’s loss to Florida that the Caps might regret losing.
It’s a convincing list, full of blown leads and winnable games that weren’t won.
The Caps are in the driver’s seat in the race for eighth in the East. Win out and they’re in. And on paper they’ve got an easier schedule (vs. Florida, at NY Rangers) than Buffalo (at Philly, at Boston).
Can’t trust them though.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5