Apr 4, 2012, 2:04 PM EDT
Brooks Laich might’ve just ruined the Capitals’ playoff hopes with that reckless guarantee.
At least, that’s Ryan Miller’s theory.
Buffalo’s starting goalie was asked about Laich’s “We’re making the playoffs” comment, and Miller’s response was, well, pretty smart actually.
“It’s distracting,” he told reporters, as per the Washington Times. “Hopefully, it’s a huge distraction for them. Some guys don’t react well to that. Guys might tighten up. Maybe their goaltenders – young goaltenders – aren’t going to react well to a guaranteed victory by their veteran guy. I think they start thinking about it.”
Not to mention, if you had to pick a team to choke, Washington would be a good choice. Yesterday, popular Capitals blog Japers’ Rink listed 10 games besides Tuesday’s loss to Florida that the Caps might regret losing.
It’s a convincing list, full of blown leads and winnable games that weren’t won.
The Caps are in the driver’s seat in the race for eighth in the East. Win out and they’re in. And on paper they’ve got an easier schedule (vs. Florida, at NY Rangers) than Buffalo (at Philly, at Boston).
Can’t trust them though.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 33
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 55
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)