Apr 4, 2012, 2:04 PM EST
Brooks Laich might’ve just ruined the Capitals’ playoff hopes with that reckless guarantee.
At least, that’s Ryan Miller’s theory.
Buffalo’s starting goalie was asked about Laich’s “We’re making the playoffs” comment, and Miller’s response was, well, pretty smart actually.
“It’s distracting,” he told reporters, as per the Washington Times. “Hopefully, it’s a huge distraction for them. Some guys don’t react well to that. Guys might tighten up. Maybe their goaltenders – young goaltenders – aren’t going to react well to a guaranteed victory by their veteran guy. I think they start thinking about it.”
Not to mention, if you had to pick a team to choke, Washington would be a good choice. Yesterday, popular Capitals blog Japers’ Rink listed 10 games besides Tuesday’s loss to Florida that the Caps might regret losing.
It’s a convincing list, full of blown leads and winnable games that weren’t won.
The Caps are in the driver’s seat in the race for eighth in the East. Win out and they’re in. And on paper they’ve got an easier schedule (vs. Florida, at NY Rangers) than Buffalo (at Philly, at Boston).
Can’t trust them though.
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 9
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 19
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 30
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (152)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)