Apr 4, 2012, 10:35 AM EDT
Joe Namath. Mark Messier.
The Washington Capitals forward might not have the resume of those iconic athletes, but that hasn’t stopped him from wading into their territory. On Wednesday, Laich appeared on Washington’s 106.7 The Fan sports radio (with “The Junkies”) and guaranteed the Capitals would make the playoffs.
Wednesday morning, the Junkies asked Brooks Laich which of those missed chances would smart the worst.
“We’re making the playoffs,” Laich responded. “We’re not talking worst-case scenario. We’re making the playoffs….There’s probably games in October that you wish you had or November or whatever, but over the course of 82 games your team identity is gonna be revealed. And either you are or you aren’t a playoff team. There’s really no gray area.”
Then it was pointed out to Laich that he had just guaranteed a playoff berth. He sort of laughed, but didn’t respond.
The Caps are tied on 88 points with Buffalo but hold eighth spot thanks to a superior win total (40 to 39) and regulation/overtime wins (36 to 32). Ergo, they control their own destiny — win and they’re in.
As for the games they’ll need to win? First, there’s Thursday’s massive tilt against Southeast Division-leading Florida, then the season finale against the Rangers at MSG on Saturday. The Caps are 3-2 against the Panthers this season (of note: Florida needs one point from its final two games to clinch a postseason berth) and 1-2 against the Rangers.
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 22
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 24
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 58
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (58)