Apr 4, 2012, 10:35 AM EDT
Joe Namath. Mark Messier.
The Washington Capitals forward might not have the resume of those iconic athletes, but that hasn’t stopped him from wading into their territory. On Wednesday, Laich appeared on Washington’s 106.7 The Fan sports radio (with “The Junkies”) and guaranteed the Capitals would make the playoffs.
Wednesday morning, the Junkies asked Brooks Laich which of those missed chances would smart the worst.
“We’re making the playoffs,” Laich responded. “We’re not talking worst-case scenario. We’re making the playoffs….There’s probably games in October that you wish you had or November or whatever, but over the course of 82 games your team identity is gonna be revealed. And either you are or you aren’t a playoff team. There’s really no gray area.”
Then it was pointed out to Laich that he had just guaranteed a playoff berth. He sort of laughed, but didn’t respond.
The Caps are tied on 88 points with Buffalo but hold eighth spot thanks to a superior win total (40 to 39) and regulation/overtime wins (36 to 32). Ergo, they control their own destiny — win and they’re in.
As for the games they’ll need to win? First, there’s Thursday’s massive tilt against Southeast Division-leading Florida, then the season finale against the Rangers at MSG on Saturday. The Caps are 3-2 against the Panthers this season (of note: Florida needs one point from its final two games to clinch a postseason berth) and 1-2 against the Rangers.
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 21
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 33
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 27
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 25
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 24
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT 58
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 49
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6