Mar 29, 2012, 2:08 PM EST
Yesterday Tomas Vokoun said he was “available” to start in goal for the Capitals tonight in Boston. Today coach Dale Hunter announced Vokoun will indeed get the nod.
“You look at his numbers this year, he’s been good for us and he’s a veteran. He’s been through these things before so it’s no question,” Hunter said, as reported by the Washington Post. “You look at his numbers, it wasn’t up and down. Everybody has a couple [bad] games but in general most of the games he gives us a chance to win every night.”
Hunter rolled the dice Tuesday against the Sabres, going with rookie Braden Holtby in the Caps’ biggest game of the season. The gamble didn’t pay off. Holtby was pulled after allowing three goals on 15 shots and Buffalo won, 5-1.
Hunter’s other choice for tonight is Michal Neuvirth. Unfortunately, it’s not much of one. Neuvirth’s surrendered 12 goals in his last three starts and possesses a scant .888 save percentage in March.
Vokoun last started Mar. 16 in Winnipeg before aggravating a groin strain.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 119
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (181)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (119)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)