Mar 29, 2012, 2:08 PM EST
Yesterday Tomas Vokoun said he was “available” to start in goal for the Capitals tonight in Boston. Today coach Dale Hunter announced Vokoun will indeed get the nod.
“You look at his numbers this year, he’s been good for us and he’s a veteran. He’s been through these things before so it’s no question,” Hunter said, as reported by the Washington Post. “You look at his numbers, it wasn’t up and down. Everybody has a couple [bad] games but in general most of the games he gives us a chance to win every night.”
Hunter rolled the dice Tuesday against the Sabres, going with rookie Braden Holtby in the Caps’ biggest game of the season. The gamble didn’t pay off. Holtby was pulled after allowing three goals on 15 shots and Buffalo won, 5-1.
Hunter’s other choice for tonight is Michal Neuvirth. Unfortunately, it’s not much of one. Neuvirth’s surrendered 12 goals in his last three starts and possesses a scant .888 save percentage in March.
Vokoun last started Mar. 16 in Winnipeg before aggravating a groin strain.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 23
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 11
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 76
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (77)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)