Mar 29, 2012, 2:08 PM EDT
Yesterday Tomas Vokoun said he was “available” to start in goal for the Capitals tonight in Boston. Today coach Dale Hunter announced Vokoun will indeed get the nod.
“You look at his numbers this year, he’s been good for us and he’s a veteran. He’s been through these things before so it’s no question,” Hunter said, as reported by the Washington Post. “You look at his numbers, it wasn’t up and down. Everybody has a couple [bad] games but in general most of the games he gives us a chance to win every night.”
Hunter rolled the dice Tuesday against the Sabres, going with rookie Braden Holtby in the Caps’ biggest game of the season. The gamble didn’t pay off. Holtby was pulled after allowing three goals on 15 shots and Buffalo won, 5-1.
Hunter’s other choice for tonight is Michal Neuvirth. Unfortunately, it’s not much of one. Neuvirth’s surrendered 12 goals in his last three starts and possesses a scant .888 save percentage in March.
Vokoun last started Mar. 16 in Winnipeg before aggravating a groin strain.
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 6
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 9
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)