Mar 29, 2012, 2:08 PM EST
Yesterday Tomas Vokoun said he was “available” to start in goal for the Capitals tonight in Boston. Today coach Dale Hunter announced Vokoun will indeed get the nod.
“You look at his numbers this year, he’s been good for us and he’s a veteran. He’s been through these things before so it’s no question,” Hunter said, as reported by the Washington Post. “You look at his numbers, it wasn’t up and down. Everybody has a couple [bad] games but in general most of the games he gives us a chance to win every night.”
Hunter rolled the dice Tuesday against the Sabres, going with rookie Braden Holtby in the Caps’ biggest game of the season. The gamble didn’t pay off. Holtby was pulled after allowing three goals on 15 shots and Buffalo won, 5-1.
Hunter’s other choice for tonight is Michal Neuvirth. Unfortunately, it’s not much of one. Neuvirth’s surrendered 12 goals in his last three starts and possesses a scant .888 save percentage in March.
Vokoun last started Mar. 16 in Winnipeg before aggravating a groin strain.
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 5
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 6
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 3
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8