Mar 29, 2012, 2:08 PM EDT
Yesterday Tomas Vokoun said he was “available” to start in goal for the Capitals tonight in Boston. Today coach Dale Hunter announced Vokoun will indeed get the nod.
“You look at his numbers this year, he’s been good for us and he’s a veteran. He’s been through these things before so it’s no question,” Hunter said, as reported by the Washington Post. “You look at his numbers, it wasn’t up and down. Everybody has a couple [bad] games but in general most of the games he gives us a chance to win every night.”
Hunter rolled the dice Tuesday against the Sabres, going with rookie Braden Holtby in the Caps’ biggest game of the season. The gamble didn’t pay off. Holtby was pulled after allowing three goals on 15 shots and Buffalo won, 5-1.
Hunter’s other choice for tonight is Michal Neuvirth. Unfortunately, it’s not much of one. Neuvirth’s surrendered 12 goals in his last three starts and possesses a scant .888 save percentage in March.
Vokoun last started Mar. 16 in Winnipeg before aggravating a groin strain.
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 0
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 12
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 35
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 67
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 5
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 28
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte