Mar 29, 2012, 1:41 PM EDT
Though the Panthers and/or Senators could still collapse, odds are the final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference will go to either Buffalo or Washington. Each team has five games left and the Sabres sit two points up on the ninth-place Capitals, though the Caps would get the nod if there’s a tie.
Here’s how it breaks down.
— Two home games, but only one “easy” one (Toronto).
— The Leafs haven’t won at home since Feb. 6.
— It’s likely the Bruins and Flyers will have nothing to play for.
— Two home games, one “easy” (Montreal), the other (Florida) more winnable than Buffalo’s game versus the Penguins.
— The Caps’ “easy” road game (Tampa Bay) is tougher than the Sabres’ “easy” road game (Toronto)
— It’s likely the Rangers and Panthers will have nothing to play for.
Buffalo’s last 10 games:
Washington’s last 10 games:
— Buffalo has a 68.1% chance of making the playoffs
— Washington has a 37.1% chance of making the playoffs
Feel free to make predictions in the comments section. I’ll take the Sabres, so it’ll probably be the Caps.
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 3
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 24
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 5
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25