Mar 29, 2012, 1:41 PM EST
Though the Panthers and/or Senators could still collapse, odds are the final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference will go to either Buffalo or Washington. Each team has five games left and the Sabres sit two points up on the ninth-place Capitals, though the Caps would get the nod if there’s a tie.
Here’s how it breaks down.
— Two home games, but only one “easy” one (Toronto).
— The Leafs haven’t won at home since Feb. 6.
— It’s likely the Bruins and Flyers will have nothing to play for.
— Two home games, one “easy” (Montreal), the other (Florida) more winnable than Buffalo’s game versus the Penguins.
— The Caps’ “easy” road game (Tampa Bay) is tougher than the Sabres’ “easy” road game (Toronto)
— It’s likely the Rangers and Panthers will have nothing to play for.
Buffalo’s last 10 games:
Washington’s last 10 games:
— Buffalo has a 68.1% chance of making the playoffs
— Washington has a 37.1% chance of making the playoffs
Feel free to make predictions in the comments section. I’ll take the Sabres, so it’ll probably be the Caps.
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 7
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 34
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 49
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 43
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 11
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 15
- Nonis: I’m not firing Carlyle 15
- Steen agrees to extension with Blues — three years, $17.4 million 17
- Engelland suspended five games for ‘reckless’ Abdelkader headshot 41
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: So many bad contracts, coaches on the hot seat, the NHL in Vegas? and more! 24
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (101)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)