Mar 29, 2012, 1:41 PM EST
Though the Panthers and/or Senators could still collapse, odds are the final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference will go to either Buffalo or Washington. Each team has five games left and the Sabres sit two points up on the ninth-place Capitals, though the Caps would get the nod if there’s a tie.
Here’s how it breaks down.
— Two home games, but only one “easy” one (Toronto).
— The Leafs haven’t won at home since Feb. 6.
— It’s likely the Bruins and Flyers will have nothing to play for.
— Two home games, one “easy” (Montreal), the other (Florida) more winnable than Buffalo’s game versus the Penguins.
— The Caps’ “easy” road game (Tampa Bay) is tougher than the Sabres’ “easy” road game (Toronto)
— It’s likely the Rangers and Panthers will have nothing to play for.
Buffalo’s last 10 games:
Washington’s last 10 games:
— Buffalo has a 68.1% chance of making the playoffs
— Washington has a 37.1% chance of making the playoffs
Feel free to make predictions in the comments section. I’ll take the Sabres, so it’ll probably be the Caps.
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 13
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 8
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 20
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 31
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 54