Mar 29, 2012, 11:24 AM EDT
As reported earlier, the Montreal Canadiens have fired GM Pierre Gauthier.
The move makes Gauthier the shortest-tenured (2010-12) Habs general manager in 70 years — the last one with such a short shelf life was Jules Dugal, who moved up from the coaching ranks to manage the club for the 1939-40 season.
Gauthier took over Montreal’s GM gig from Bob Gainey on Feb. 8, 2010 and made a number of player and front-office decisions. Here’s a look at some of the more noteworthy ones.
June 23, 2010: Signs UFA Tomas Plekanec to a six-year, $30-million deal.
Sept. 2, 2010: Signs RFA Carey Price to a two-year, $5.5 million deal.
Dec. 28, 2010: Acquires James Wisniewski from the Islanders in exchange for 2011 second-round and 2012 fifth-round picks.
June 24, 2011: Signs Andrei Markov to a three-year, $17.25-million deal.
June 29, 2011: Trades Wisniewski’s rights to Columbus for a 2012 fifth-round pick.
July 1, 2011: Signs Erik Cole to a four-year, $18 million deal.
July 23, 2011: Signs Josh Gorges to a one-year, $2.5 million deal.
Jan. 1, 2012: Signs Gorges to a six-year, $23.4 million deal.
Feb. 27, 2012: Traded Andrei Kostitsyn to Nashville for a 2013 second-round draft pick and a conditional 2013 fifth-round draft pick.
July 21, 2010: Named Randy Cunneyworth coach of AHL Hamilton (replacing Guy Boucher.)
July 23, 2011: Named Cunneyworth assistant coach of the Canadiens (replacing Kirk Muller.)
Oct. 27, 2011: Fired assistant coach Perry Pearn (replaced by Randy Ladouceur.)
Dec. 17, 2011: Fired head coach Jacques Martin. Named Cunneyworth interim head coach.
The defining moments of Gauthier’s regime will be the Halak deal (which Habs fans hated), the Markov contract (Montreal’s second-highest paid skater has played 15 games in the last two years) and naming Cunneyworth the Canadiens’ first unilingual head coach since Bob Berry in 1984.
What might stand out the most, though, is that Gauthier inherited a team that went to the Eastern Conference finals in 2010. Today, they’re the Eastern Conference’s worst team.
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 8
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 35
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 5
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)