Mar 29, 2012, 11:24 AM EST
As reported earlier, the Montreal Canadiens have fired GM Pierre Gauthier.
The move makes Gauthier the shortest-tenured (2010-12) Habs general manager in 70 years — the last one with such a short shelf life was Jules Dugal, who moved up from the coaching ranks to manage the club for the 1939-40 season.
Gauthier took over Montreal’s GM gig from Bob Gainey on Feb. 8, 2010 and made a number of player and front-office decisions. Here’s a look at some of the more noteworthy ones.
June 23, 2010: Signs UFA Tomas Plekanec to a six-year, $30-million deal.
Sept. 2, 2010: Signs RFA Carey Price to a two-year, $5.5 million deal.
Dec. 28, 2010: Acquires James Wisniewski from the Islanders in exchange for 2011 second-round and 2012 fifth-round picks.
June 24, 2011: Signs Andrei Markov to a three-year, $17.25-million deal.
June 29, 2011: Trades Wisniewski’s rights to Columbus for a 2012 fifth-round pick.
July 1, 2011: Signs Erik Cole to a four-year, $18 million deal.
July 23, 2011: Signs Josh Gorges to a one-year, $2.5 million deal.
Jan. 1, 2012: Signs Gorges to a six-year, $23.4 million deal.
Feb. 27, 2012: Traded Andrei Kostitsyn to Nashville for a 2013 second-round draft pick and a conditional 2013 fifth-round draft pick.
July 21, 2010: Named Randy Cunneyworth coach of AHL Hamilton (replacing Guy Boucher.)
July 23, 2011: Named Cunneyworth assistant coach of the Canadiens (replacing Kirk Muller.)
Oct. 27, 2011: Fired assistant coach Perry Pearn (replaced by Randy Ladouceur.)
Dec. 17, 2011: Fired head coach Jacques Martin. Named Cunneyworth interim head coach.
The defining moments of Gauthier’s regime will be the Halak deal (which Habs fans hated), the Markov contract (Montreal’s second-highest paid skater has played 15 games in the last two years) and naming Cunneyworth the Canadiens’ first unilingual head coach since Bob Berry in 1984.
What might stand out the most, though, is that Gauthier inherited a team that went to the Eastern Conference finals in 2010. Today, they’re the Eastern Conference’s worst team.
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 0
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 16
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 5
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 73
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 55
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (75)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)