Mar 29, 2012, 11:35 AM EST
With this morning’s news that Pierre Gauthier has been fired as general manager of the Montreal Canadiens, here’s a list of 10 possible candidates to replace him:
The former Habs goalie great is a legend in Montreal and he recently had to deny he’d been offered the job. But given he’s spent his post-retirement career in junior hockey, does he have the requisite experience to be a GM in the NHL? Plus there’s the possibility he’s holding out to join the Nordiques, if they do indeed return to Quebec City via Phoenix.
The assistant GM under Steve Yzerman in Tampa Bay. Brisebois spent a number of years in the Montreal organization and has AHL managing experience.
The NBC analyst has been in the running for other GM jobs around the NHL. McGuire’s fully immersed in the league and, yes, he’s bilingual.
The assistant GM under Brian Burke in Toronto, he’s responsible for managing the salary cap and negotiating contracts.
One of the NHL’s most prominent agents, it’ll be hard to find someone more familiar with the inner workings of the league. Former agent Mike Gillis won GM of the year in Vancouver last season, which the Habs might note.
The assistant GM under Ken Holland in Detroit, is there a better organization in which to learn the craft?
The former Habs captain and NHLPA executive, he’d be a popular choice with the fans.
The assistant GM under Stan Bowman in Chicago, it’s always helpful to flash a newish Stanley Cup ring at interviews.
Current TV analyst and former Flames GM, his name often comes up when there are openings around the league.
The assistant GM in Nashville under David Poile, the Predators’ success with a limited budget is a feather in his cap.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (121)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)