Mar 29, 2012, 11:35 AM EDT
With this morning’s news that Pierre Gauthier has been fired as general manager of the Montreal Canadiens, here’s a list of 10 possible candidates to replace him:
The former Habs goalie great is a legend in Montreal and he recently had to deny he’d been offered the job. But given he’s spent his post-retirement career in junior hockey, does he have the requisite experience to be a GM in the NHL? Plus there’s the possibility he’s holding out to join the Nordiques, if they do indeed return to Quebec City via Phoenix.
The assistant GM under Steve Yzerman in Tampa Bay. Brisebois spent a number of years in the Montreal organization and has AHL managing experience.
The NBC analyst has been in the running for other GM jobs around the NHL. McGuire’s fully immersed in the league and, yes, he’s bilingual.
The assistant GM under Brian Burke in Toronto, he’s responsible for managing the salary cap and negotiating contracts.
One of the NHL’s most prominent agents, it’ll be hard to find someone more familiar with the inner workings of the league. Former agent Mike Gillis won GM of the year in Vancouver last season, which the Habs might note.
The assistant GM under Ken Holland in Detroit, is there a better organization in which to learn the craft?
The former Habs captain and NHLPA executive, he’d be a popular choice with the fans.
The assistant GM under Stan Bowman in Chicago, it’s always helpful to flash a newish Stanley Cup ring at interviews.
Current TV analyst and former Flames GM, his name often comes up when there are openings around the league.
The assistant GM in Nashville under David Poile, the Predators’ success with a limited budget is a feather in his cap.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 12
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 16
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 14
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 92
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5