Mar 29, 2012, 11:35 AM EST
With this morning’s news that Pierre Gauthier has been fired as general manager of the Montreal Canadiens, here’s a list of 10 possible candidates to replace him:
The former Habs goalie great is a legend in Montreal and he recently had to deny he’d been offered the job. But given he’s spent his post-retirement career in junior hockey, does he have the requisite experience to be a GM in the NHL? Plus there’s the possibility he’s holding out to join the Nordiques, if they do indeed return to Quebec City via Phoenix.
The assistant GM under Steve Yzerman in Tampa Bay. Brisebois spent a number of years in the Montreal organization and has AHL managing experience.
The NBC analyst has been in the running for other GM jobs around the NHL. McGuire’s fully immersed in the league and, yes, he’s bilingual.
The assistant GM under Brian Burke in Toronto, he’s responsible for managing the salary cap and negotiating contracts.
One of the NHL’s most prominent agents, it’ll be hard to find someone more familiar with the inner workings of the league. Former agent Mike Gillis won GM of the year in Vancouver last season, which the Habs might note.
The assistant GM under Ken Holland in Detroit, is there a better organization in which to learn the craft?
The former Habs captain and NHLPA executive, he’d be a popular choice with the fans.
The assistant GM under Stan Bowman in Chicago, it’s always helpful to flash a newish Stanley Cup ring at interviews.
Current TV analyst and former Flames GM, his name often comes up when there are openings around the league.
The assistant GM in Nashville under David Poile, the Predators’ success with a limited budget is a feather in his cap.
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 2
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 57
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 80
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 29
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)