Mar 27, 2012, 2:39 PM EST
“Recovery time will be between five and six months, so our hope is that Taylor will be ready for the start of next season,” Tambellini told the Oilers website (via Twitter). “He’s going to have an incredible career, so this is the right time to take care of business and get this [surgery] done.”
While there’s no denying Hall has the talent for an incredible career, there are concerns his body won’t allow it. The 20-year-old has been decimated by injury during his first two professional seasons — he missed the final 17 games of last season with a broken ankle and 15 this year with a variety of ailments (shoulder injury, concussion, Frankenstein-ish head wound.)
There was also this ominous quote from Hall explaining when he first hurt his shoulder.
“Four years now — I injured it in junior and it’s been wearing away,” he said. “I’ve been playing with a pretty bad shoulder for most of this year and I’m excited to see what I can do after it’s fixed.
/cue alarm bells
“It’s not the way I envisioned my career starting, but I hope to stay healthy after this and be a good Oiler for a long time.”
Hall isn’t the only young Edmonton star with health concerns. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, the first overall pick at the 2011 draft, has missed 20 games this year with shoulder issues of his own.
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 60
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 11
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 87
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (87)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (80)