Mar 27, 2012, 2:39 PM EDT
“Recovery time will be between five and six months, so our hope is that Taylor will be ready for the start of next season,” Tambellini told the Oilers website (via Twitter). “He’s going to have an incredible career, so this is the right time to take care of business and get this [surgery] done.”
While there’s no denying Hall has the talent for an incredible career, there are concerns his body won’t allow it. The 20-year-old has been decimated by injury during his first two professional seasons — he missed the final 17 games of last season with a broken ankle and 15 this year with a variety of ailments (shoulder injury, concussion, Frankenstein-ish head wound.)
There was also this ominous quote from Hall explaining when he first hurt his shoulder.
“Four years now — I injured it in junior and it’s been wearing away,” he said. “I’ve been playing with a pretty bad shoulder for most of this year and I’m excited to see what I can do after it’s fixed.
/cue alarm bells
“It’s not the way I envisioned my career starting, but I hope to stay healthy after this and be a good Oiler for a long time.”
Hall isn’t the only young Edmonton star with health concerns. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, the first overall pick at the 2011 draft, has missed 20 games this year with shoulder issues of his own.
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 4
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)