Mar 27, 2012, 2:39 PM EDT
“Recovery time will be between five and six months, so our hope is that Taylor will be ready for the start of next season,” Tambellini told the Oilers website (via Twitter). “He’s going to have an incredible career, so this is the right time to take care of business and get this [surgery] done.”
While there’s no denying Hall has the talent for an incredible career, there are concerns his body won’t allow it. The 20-year-old has been decimated by injury during his first two professional seasons — he missed the final 17 games of last season with a broken ankle and 15 this year with a variety of ailments (shoulder injury, concussion, Frankenstein-ish head wound.)
There was also this ominous quote from Hall explaining when he first hurt his shoulder.
“Four years now — I injured it in junior and it’s been wearing away,” he said. “I’ve been playing with a pretty bad shoulder for most of this year and I’m excited to see what I can do after it’s fixed.
/cue alarm bells
“It’s not the way I envisioned my career starting, but I hope to stay healthy after this and be a good Oiler for a long time.”
Hall isn’t the only young Edmonton star with health concerns. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, the first overall pick at the 2011 draft, has missed 20 games this year with shoulder issues of his own.
- Video: Johnny Hockey puts on a show in Flames win 0
- Video: Red Wings’ fans show support for Gordie Howe 0
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 11
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 7
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 12
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)