Mar 27, 2012, 2:39 PM EDT
“Recovery time will be between five and six months, so our hope is that Taylor will be ready for the start of next season,” Tambellini told the Oilers website (via Twitter). “He’s going to have an incredible career, so this is the right time to take care of business and get this [surgery] done.”
While there’s no denying Hall has the talent for an incredible career, there are concerns his body won’t allow it. The 20-year-old has been decimated by injury during his first two professional seasons — he missed the final 17 games of last season with a broken ankle and 15 this year with a variety of ailments (shoulder injury, concussion, Frankenstein-ish head wound.)
There was also this ominous quote from Hall explaining when he first hurt his shoulder.
“Four years now — I injured it in junior and it’s been wearing away,” he said. “I’ve been playing with a pretty bad shoulder for most of this year and I’m excited to see what I can do after it’s fixed.
/cue alarm bells
“It’s not the way I envisioned my career starting, but I hope to stay healthy after this and be a good Oiler for a long time.”
Hall isn’t the only young Edmonton star with health concerns. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, the first overall pick at the 2011 draft, has missed 20 games this year with shoulder issues of his own.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)