Jan 19, 2012, 1:58 PM EST
Wanna know what you’d look like after your teammate stepped on your head with a razor-sharp skate blade and 30 stitches were required to close the gash?
Here ya go:
That’s Edmonton Oilers sophomore sensation Taylor Hall, two days after he was sliced open by Corey Potter‘s skate while warming up for a game against Columbus. Hall missed the Blue Jackets contest and is unlikely to play tonight against St. Louis — the Oilers have yet to indicate when Hall will return to the lineup, though head coach Tom Renney said he’s feeling better.
“He’s doing much better. Swelling has gone down, he’s got a clear head, he had a good night’s sleep,” Renney said in a video posted on the team’s website. “All that being said, I would call it doubtful for [Thursday], which I don’t think would surprise anyone. If you talked to Taylor he would say he’s hopeful, but we’ll see.”
While question marks surround his return, one thing’s for certain — Hall will be wearing a helmet in warmups from now on (he was helmetless when he got sliced) and that’s on orders from his mom, Kim Strba.
“I asked him if he was still good looking and he said, ‘Mom, I look like Frankenstein.’ Maybe it will send a message to everyone about how important it is to wear a helmet,” she told the Edmonton Journal. “Maybe it will be a wake-up call. Unfortunately, Taylor is going to be the one remembered for bringing about the change.”
(Photo courtesy Edmontonoilers.com)
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 0
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 31
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)