Jan 19, 2012, 1:58 PM EDT
Wanna know what you’d look like after your teammate stepped on your head with a razor-sharp skate blade and 30 stitches were required to close the gash?
Here ya go:
That’s Edmonton Oilers sophomore sensation Taylor Hall, two days after he was sliced open by Corey Potter‘s skate while warming up for a game against Columbus. Hall missed the Blue Jackets contest and is unlikely to play tonight against St. Louis — the Oilers have yet to indicate when Hall will return to the lineup, though head coach Tom Renney said he’s feeling better.
“He’s doing much better. Swelling has gone down, he’s got a clear head, he had a good night’s sleep,” Renney said in a video posted on the team’s website. “All that being said, I would call it doubtful for [Thursday], which I don’t think would surprise anyone. If you talked to Taylor he would say he’s hopeful, but we’ll see.”
While question marks surround his return, one thing’s for certain — Hall will be wearing a helmet in warmups from now on (he was helmetless when he got sliced) and that’s on orders from his mom, Kim Strba.
“I asked him if he was still good looking and he said, ‘Mom, I look like Frankenstein.’ Maybe it will send a message to everyone about how important it is to wear a helmet,” she told the Edmonton Journal. “Maybe it will be a wake-up call. Unfortunately, Taylor is going to be the one remembered for bringing about the change.”
(Photo courtesy Edmontonoilers.com)
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 17
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)