Mar 23, 2012, 12:20 PM EST
Earlier this week we wrote about the NHL-leading St. Louis Blues and their return to health.
Today, they got even healthier.
The club announced that Alex Steen and Matt D’Agostini will take off their red no-contact jerseys Saturday and participate in practice as regular players. It’s big news for the pair, as both have missed extensive time with concussions.
“Alex has been cleared to come back in full participation now,” Blues GM Doug Armstrong told the Post-Dispatch. ”He practiced today, a good practice, and we’re going to go to Phoenix and he’s working like D’Agostini with the focus on getting their strength and timing back.”
Steen has been out of the lineup since Dec. 30, missing the last 36 games. It was a key loss for the Blues — at the time of the injury, he led the team in plus-minus, even-strength goals and was one of St. Louis’ alternate captains.
D’Agostini has been out since Feb. 7, missing the last 23 games — a huge blow after posting a career-year in 2010-11. He scored 21 goals and 46 points, finishing fifth on the team in scoring.
Of the two, it sounds as though D’Agostini will be the first to return to the lineup.
“It’s just been progressively getting better,” he said. “The last week or so, I’ve been almost symptom-free. If we keep going at this rate, I should be back in a couple of games.”
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 6
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 34
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 75
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 32
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 63
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)