Mar 23, 2012, 12:20 PM EDT
Earlier this week we wrote about the NHL-leading St. Louis Blues and their return to health.
Today, they got even healthier.
The club announced that Alex Steen and Matt D’Agostini will take off their red no-contact jerseys Saturday and participate in practice as regular players. It’s big news for the pair, as both have missed extensive time with concussions.
“Alex has been cleared to come back in full participation now,” Blues GM Doug Armstrong told the Post-Dispatch. “He practiced today, a good practice, and we’re going to go to Phoenix and he’s working like D’Agostini with the focus on getting their strength and timing back.”
Steen has been out of the lineup since Dec. 30, missing the last 36 games. It was a key loss for the Blues — at the time of the injury, he led the team in plus-minus, even-strength goals and was one of St. Louis’ alternate captains.
D’Agostini has been out since Feb. 7, missing the last 23 games — a huge blow after posting a career-year in 2010-11. He scored 21 goals and 46 points, finishing fifth on the team in scoring.
Of the two, it sounds as though D’Agostini will be the first to return to the lineup.
“It’s just been progressively getting better,” he said. “The last week or so, I’ve been almost symptom-free. If we keep going at this rate, I should be back in a couple of games.”
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 20
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 13
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 37
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)