Mar 21, 2012, 1:00 PM EST
There was a strange scene at St. Louis’ practice at the Honda Center yesterday — strange in the sense that a full compliment of Blues were participating.
The NHL leaders, ravaged by injury throughout the season, had 16 forwards, eight defensemen and two goalies on the ice for a grand total of 26 players…which, according to Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, means the club had every player on its NHL roster in skates at one time.
“It’s a good start,” Blues coach Ken Hitchcock said. “We’ll see moving forward how it all turns out. But it was good news. It was expected news. We had planned for this.
“We’re still in various stages of repair, but they were able to participate fully in practice the first 50 minutes and go from there.”
Hands on deck included the concussed trio of Alex Steen (out since Dec. 30), Matt D’Agostini (Feb. 8) and Kris Russell (Feb. 24) as well as the walking wounded: David Backes (foot), Andy McDonald (shoulder) and Jason Arnott (being 37 years old.)
Steen, D’Agostini and McDonald all wore red non-contact jerseys but of the three, only McDonald is expected back soon as his recovery from last week’s shoulder injury is going better than expected. There’s still no timetable for Steen and D’Agostini, though Hitchcock is hopeful.
“They obviously had high energy, all three guys,” Hitchcock said. “[McDonald] was flying around the ice, Steen was flying around the ice, D’Agostini was flying around the ice … we’re still in the conditioning phase on some guys. I don’t know. I try not to get excited. I think sometimes you can hope for players to come back in, then they reach and certain stage and never get there, and you’re disappointed.”
While Steen and D’Agostini are a ways away, it sounds as though St. Louis could return Russell to the lineup on Wednesday against the Ducks.
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 2
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 57
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 80
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 29
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)