Mar 23, 2012, 7:45 PM EST
For some, Duncan Keith‘s five-game suspension seems like the least the NHL could do about a flagrant elbow on Daniel Sedin. That being said, the decision delivers a harsh blow to his Chicago Blackhawks teammates, who are grappling with the fact that their best defenseman won’t be available until April 5.
“It’s unfortunate that Daniel got hurt. I don’t think that was Duncan’s intention,” Patrick Sharp said earlier Friday. “It’s something we’re going to have to rally behind. You never want to see guys go down, especially like that. You hate to see a guy go out like that. You never want to see guys get hurt.”
Coach Joel Quenneville hopes that the Blackhawks learn a lesson from this harsh (yet some might say lenient) punishment, preaching that the team needs to keep their cool – even against the hated Vancouver Canucks.
“Every game we’ve seen, whether it’s a playoff game or regular-season game, you have to control your emotions and make sure you think,” Quenneville said. “There are certain switches that are just reactionary and in the moment of the game. That’s something we’ll always focus on moving forward. Whether it’s Vancouver or anybody, we need to be smart.”
Something tells me if you shot Keith up with some of the “Kill Bill” truth serum, even he would admit that the elbow wasn’t smart.
On the bright side for Keith and Chicago, he’ll have two regular season games to “wise up” before the playoffs begin.
Here’s video of the reactions, if you’re not much for reading quotes and such:
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 13
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 6
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 13
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 16
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 8
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 27
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 35