Mar 23, 2012, 7:45 PM EST
For some, Duncan Keith‘s five-game suspension seems like the least the NHL could do about a flagrant elbow on Daniel Sedin. That being said, the decision delivers a harsh blow to his Chicago Blackhawks teammates, who are grappling with the fact that their best defenseman won’t be available until April 5.
“It’s unfortunate that Daniel got hurt. I don’t think that was Duncan’s intention,” Patrick Sharp said earlier Friday. “It’s something we’re going to have to rally behind. You never want to see guys go down, especially like that. You hate to see a guy go out like that. You never want to see guys get hurt.”
Coach Joel Quenneville hopes that the Blackhawks learn a lesson from this harsh (yet some might say lenient) punishment, preaching that the team needs to keep their cool – even against the hated Vancouver Canucks.
“Every game we’ve seen, whether it’s a playoff game or regular-season game, you have to control your emotions and make sure you think,” Quenneville said. “There are certain switches that are just reactionary and in the moment of the game. That’s something we’ll always focus on moving forward. Whether it’s Vancouver or anybody, we need to be smart.”
Something tells me if you shot Keith up with some of the “Kill Bill” truth serum, even he would admit that the elbow wasn’t smart.
On the bright side for Keith and Chicago, he’ll have two regular season games to “wise up” before the playoffs begin.
Here’s video of the reactions, if you’re not much for reading quotes and such:
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 38
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 15
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 81
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)