Mar 21, 2012, 9:12 PM EST
If you thought Shane Doan‘s elbow on Jamie Benn was bad, then prepare to see that topped. The Chicago Blackhawks and Vancouver Canucks have a legitimate, hate-filled rivalry, but it might start to inch toward the kind of venom once found in the Colorado-Detroit feud after Duncan Keith landed a elbow that’s virtually impossible to defend on Daniel Sedin:
(Update: TSN’s James Duthie passes along a note that Sedin apparently landed a high shoulder on Keith during the game, too, which you can also view in the video above. That doesn’t necessarily make the retaliation OK, but it gives some background as to why it happened.)
If you want a sense of the reactions to that hit – which forced Sedin off the ice – just check out what the National Post’s Bruce Arthur had to say about it.
The NHL’s slow decision-making when it comes to Doan’s punishment might actually come in handy now, because this situation could essentially be a higher level version of that disciplinary decision. Sedin left the ice and did not return while the elbow looks even uglier in replays than the Doan “chicken wing.”
Keith received a two-minute minor in real-time, which continues the parallels with Doan’s situation since the Coyotes captain remained in Tuesday’s game (and thus was able to add two assists and help Phoenix salvage a charity point against the Dallas Stars).
What do you think, then? Is the penalty enough? Should he be fined or suspended? If a suspension is in order, how long? Do tell, because it’s not every day that you see a star-on-star “crime” like this.
Update: The Blackhawks ended up winning the love fest 2-1.
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 0
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 34
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 50
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)