Mar 21, 2012, 9:12 PM EDT
If you thought Shane Doan‘s elbow on Jamie Benn was bad, then prepare to see that topped. The Chicago Blackhawks and Vancouver Canucks have a legitimate, hate-filled rivalry, but it might start to inch toward the kind of venom once found in the Colorado-Detroit feud after Duncan Keith landed a elbow that’s virtually impossible to defend on Daniel Sedin:
(Update: TSN’s James Duthie passes along a note that Sedin apparently landed a high shoulder on Keith during the game, too, which you can also view in the video above. That doesn’t necessarily make the retaliation OK, but it gives some background as to why it happened.)
If you want a sense of the reactions to that hit – which forced Sedin off the ice – just check out what the National Post’s Bruce Arthur had to say about it.
The NHL’s slow decision-making when it comes to Doan’s punishment might actually come in handy now, because this situation could essentially be a higher level version of that disciplinary decision. Sedin left the ice and did not return while the elbow looks even uglier in replays than the Doan “chicken wing.”
Keith received a two-minute minor in real-time, which continues the parallels with Doan’s situation since the Coyotes captain remained in Tuesday’s game (and thus was able to add two assists and help Phoenix salvage a charity point against the Dallas Stars).
What do you think, then? Is the penalty enough? Should he be fined or suspended? If a suspension is in order, how long? Do tell, because it’s not every day that you see a star-on-star “crime” like this.
Update: The Blackhawks ended up winning the love fest 2-1.
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 5
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 14
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 25
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 41
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13