Mar 21, 2012, 9:12 PM EDT
If you thought Shane Doan‘s elbow on Jamie Benn was bad, then prepare to see that topped. The Chicago Blackhawks and Vancouver Canucks have a legitimate, hate-filled rivalry, but it might start to inch toward the kind of venom once found in the Colorado-Detroit feud after Duncan Keith landed a elbow that’s virtually impossible to defend on Daniel Sedin:
(Update: TSN’s James Duthie passes along a note that Sedin apparently landed a high shoulder on Keith during the game, too, which you can also view in the video above. That doesn’t necessarily make the retaliation OK, but it gives some background as to why it happened.)
If you want a sense of the reactions to that hit – which forced Sedin off the ice – just check out what the National Post’s Bruce Arthur had to say about it.
The NHL’s slow decision-making when it comes to Doan’s punishment might actually come in handy now, because this situation could essentially be a higher level version of that disciplinary decision. Sedin left the ice and did not return while the elbow looks even uglier in replays than the Doan “chicken wing.”
Keith received a two-minute minor in real-time, which continues the parallels with Doan’s situation since the Coyotes captain remained in Tuesday’s game (and thus was able to add two assists and help Phoenix salvage a charity point against the Dallas Stars).
What do you think, then? Is the penalty enough? Should he be fined or suspended? If a suspension is in order, how long? Do tell, because it’s not every day that you see a star-on-star “crime” like this.
Update: The Blackhawks ended up winning the love fest 2-1.
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 0
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 22
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 12
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 41
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (45)