Mar 21, 2012, 9:12 PM EDT
If you thought Shane Doan‘s elbow on Jamie Benn was bad, then prepare to see that topped. The Chicago Blackhawks and Vancouver Canucks have a legitimate, hate-filled rivalry, but it might start to inch toward the kind of venom once found in the Colorado-Detroit feud after Duncan Keith landed a elbow that’s virtually impossible to defend on Daniel Sedin:
(Update: TSN’s James Duthie passes along a note that Sedin apparently landed a high shoulder on Keith during the game, too, which you can also view in the video above. That doesn’t necessarily make the retaliation OK, but it gives some background as to why it happened.)
If you want a sense of the reactions to that hit – which forced Sedin off the ice – just check out what the National Post’s Bruce Arthur had to say about it.
The NHL’s slow decision-making when it comes to Doan’s punishment might actually come in handy now, because this situation could essentially be a higher level version of that disciplinary decision. Sedin left the ice and did not return while the elbow looks even uglier in replays than the Doan “chicken wing.”
Keith received a two-minute minor in real-time, which continues the parallels with Doan’s situation since the Coyotes captain remained in Tuesday’s game (and thus was able to add two assists and help Phoenix salvage a charity point against the Dallas Stars).
What do you think, then? Is the penalty enough? Should he be fined or suspended? If a suspension is in order, how long? Do tell, because it’s not every day that you see a star-on-star “crime” like this.
Update: The Blackhawks ended up winning the love fest 2-1.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)