Mar 21, 2012, 9:12 PM EST
If you thought Shane Doan‘s elbow on Jamie Benn was bad, then prepare to see that topped. The Chicago Blackhawks and Vancouver Canucks have a legitimate, hate-filled rivalry, but it might start to inch toward the kind of venom once found in the Colorado-Detroit feud after Duncan Keith landed a elbow that’s virtually impossible to defend on Daniel Sedin:
(Update: TSN’s James Duthie passes along a note that Sedin apparently landed a high shoulder on Keith during the game, too, which you can also view in the video above. That doesn’t necessarily make the retaliation OK, but it gives some background as to why it happened.)
If you want a sense of the reactions to that hit – which forced Sedin off the ice – just check out what the National Post’s Bruce Arthur had to say about it.
The NHL’s slow decision-making when it comes to Doan’s punishment might actually come in handy now, because this situation could essentially be a higher level version of that disciplinary decision. Sedin left the ice and did not return while the elbow looks even uglier in replays than the Doan “chicken wing.”
Keith received a two-minute minor in real-time, which continues the parallels with Doan’s situation since the Coyotes captain remained in Tuesday’s game (and thus was able to add two assists and help Phoenix salvage a charity point against the Dallas Stars).
What do you think, then? Is the penalty enough? Should he be fined or suspended? If a suspension is in order, how long? Do tell, because it’s not every day that you see a star-on-star “crime” like this.
Update: The Blackhawks ended up winning the love fest 2-1.
- Miller’s second straight shutout puts Canucks in NHL lead 15
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 3
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 6
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 25
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)