Mar 22, 2012, 5:38 PM EDT
According to Jesse Rogers of ESPN Chicago, Blackhawks defenseman Duncan Keith will have a phone hearing with NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan on Friday regarding his elbow to the head of Vancouver’s Daniel Sedin.
The big news is that Shanahan’s conducting a phone hearing, because suspensions stemming from phone hearings can only be a maximum five games in length. That said, Shanahan did set a precedent earlier this year for issuing max suspensions via the ringer, giving Boston’s Brad Marchand the full-meal deal for his clip on Vancouver’s Sami Salo back in January.
— It’ll be interesting to see how the “retribution” angle comes into play. Henrik Sedin alleged Keith made comments about going after Daniel because Daniel had nailed him with a questionable hit earlier in the period. Some argue that makes Keith’s actions worse, others say it justifies them.
— Keith’s not a repeat offender…but he’s not exactly a saint, either. Check out the headshot he put on Pittsburgh’s Matt Cooke back in 2009 — one that also happened to be retaliatory in nature (Cooke tagged Keith with a bad hit earlier in the game):
Doubtful it comes up in discussion or plays into Shanahan’s decision…but it’s out there.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 3
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 19
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)