Mar 22, 2012, 5:38 PM EDT
According to Jesse Rogers of ESPN Chicago, Blackhawks defenseman Duncan Keith will have a phone hearing with NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan on Friday regarding his elbow to the head of Vancouver’s Daniel Sedin.
The big news is that Shanahan’s conducting a phone hearing, because suspensions stemming from phone hearings can only be a maximum five games in length. That said, Shanahan did set a precedent earlier this year for issuing max suspensions via the ringer, giving Boston’s Brad Marchand the full-meal deal for his clip on Vancouver’s Sami Salo back in January.
— It’ll be interesting to see how the “retribution” angle comes into play. Henrik Sedin alleged Keith made comments about going after Daniel because Daniel had nailed him with a questionable hit earlier in the period. Some argue that makes Keith’s actions worse, others say it justifies them.
— Keith’s not a repeat offender…but he’s not exactly a saint, either. Check out the headshot he put on Pittsburgh’s Matt Cooke back in 2009 — one that also happened to be retaliatory in nature (Cooke tagged Keith with a bad hit earlier in the game):
Doubtful it comes up in discussion or plays into Shanahan’s decision…but it’s out there.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 2
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 15
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 35
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 44
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)