Mar 22, 2012, 5:38 PM EDT
According to Jesse Rogers of ESPN Chicago, Blackhawks defenseman Duncan Keith will have a phone hearing with NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan on Friday regarding his elbow to the head of Vancouver’s Daniel Sedin.
The big news is that Shanahan’s conducting a phone hearing, because suspensions stemming from phone hearings can only be a maximum five games in length. That said, Shanahan did set a precedent earlier this year for issuing max suspensions via the ringer, giving Boston’s Brad Marchand the full-meal deal for his clip on Vancouver’s Sami Salo back in January.
— It’ll be interesting to see how the “retribution” angle comes into play. Henrik Sedin alleged Keith made comments about going after Daniel because Daniel had nailed him with a questionable hit earlier in the period. Some argue that makes Keith’s actions worse, others say it justifies them.
— Keith’s not a repeat offender…but he’s not exactly a saint, either. Check out the headshot he put on Pittsburgh’s Matt Cooke back in 2009 — one that also happened to be retaliatory in nature (Cooke tagged Keith with a bad hit earlier in the game):
Doubtful it comes up in discussion or plays into Shanahan’s decision…but it’s out there.
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 2
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 6
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 15
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 24
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)