Jan 9, 2012, 6:52 PM EST
Marchand will forfeit approximately $150,000 in salary.
In describing the play, NHL disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan said Marchand “drops down dangerously low into Salo’s knee area” rather than making shoulder-to-shoulder contact.
Shanahan did not view Marchand’s actions as “defensive or instinctive,” calling the clip a “predatory low hit delivered intentionally” to a player that was “not coming at Marchand with great speed nor in a threatening posture.”
The NHL also took into account that Salo suffered a concussion on the play and that Marchand is a repeat offender, having been suspended last March for elbowing RJ Umberger.
Here’s the full explanation:
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)