Jan 9, 2012, 6:52 PM EDT
Marchand will forfeit approximately $150,000 in salary.
In describing the play, NHL disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan said Marchand “drops down dangerously low into Salo’s knee area” rather than making shoulder-to-shoulder contact.
Shanahan did not view Marchand’s actions as “defensive or instinctive,” calling the clip a “predatory low hit delivered intentionally” to a player that was “not coming at Marchand with great speed nor in a threatening posture.”
The NHL also took into account that Salo suffered a concussion on the play and that Marchand is a repeat offender, having been suspended last March for elbowing RJ Umberger.
Here’s the full explanation:
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 0
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 44
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Capitals 3
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 61
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 25
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 44
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 29
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (80)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)