Mar 22, 2012, 12:01 AM EST
Chicago Blackhawks defenseman Duncan Keith is saying the right things about his controversial elbow on Daniel Sedin. Keith said that he wasn’t trying to hurt Sedin, providing this explanation to Adam Jahns.
“The puck was up in the air from what I remember and I’m trying to close my gap and have a good gap on him,” Keith said. “Right at the last second, he moves forward. I don’t know where the puck is. It’s fast. Like I said, I hope he’s OK. I need to see the replay. I need to see it again.”
Here’s video of the offending hit, which also includes a check by Sedin from earlier in the game, one many believe inspired Keith’s actions. (Keith, curiously, didn’t remember that blow properly either – he might not be the kind of guy you want as an eyewitness, by the way.)
While Keith’s revisionist history might need some polishing, the Canucks’ anger is quite focused. Alain Vigneault thought the elbow was major penalty material while Henrik Sedin was reportedly “livid” about the hit. (Their complaints carry extra anger because Chicago won 2-1 in overtime.)
Jahns passes along something that could get blown out of proportion: Henrik said that Keith “made comments” before the elbow.
Either way, Keith created quite a mess for himself – and likely some unwanted extra attention in future games.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 19
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)