Mar 22, 2012, 12:01 AM EST
Chicago Blackhawks defenseman Duncan Keith is saying the right things about his controversial elbow on Daniel Sedin. Keith said that he wasn’t trying to hurt Sedin, providing this explanation to Adam Jahns.
“The puck was up in the air from what I remember and I’m trying to close my gap and have a good gap on him,” Keith said. “Right at the last second, he moves forward. I don’t know where the puck is. It’s fast. Like I said, I hope he’s OK. I need to see the replay. I need to see it again.”
Here’s video of the offending hit, which also includes a check by Sedin from earlier in the game, one many believe inspired Keith’s actions. (Keith, curiously, didn’t remember that blow properly either – he might not be the kind of guy you want as an eyewitness, by the way.)
While Keith’s revisionist history might need some polishing, the Canucks’ anger is quite focused. Alain Vigneault thought the elbow was major penalty material while Henrik Sedin was reportedly “livid” about the hit. (Their complaints carry extra anger because Chicago won 2-1 in overtime.)
Jahns passes along something that could get blown out of proportion: Henrik said that Keith “made comments” before the elbow.
Either way, Keith created quite a mess for himself – and likely some unwanted extra attention in future games.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 11
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 40
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 38
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)