Mar 22, 2012, 12:01 AM EST
Chicago Blackhawks defenseman Duncan Keith is saying the right things about his controversial elbow on Daniel Sedin. Keith said that he wasn’t trying to hurt Sedin, providing this explanation to Adam Jahns.
“The puck was up in the air from what I remember and I’m trying to close my gap and have a good gap on him,” Keith said. “Right at the last second, he moves forward. I don’t know where the puck is. It’s fast. Like I said, I hope he’s OK. I need to see the replay. I need to see it again.”
Here’s video of the offending hit, which also includes a check by Sedin from earlier in the game, one many believe inspired Keith’s actions. (Keith, curiously, didn’t remember that blow properly either – he might not be the kind of guy you want as an eyewitness, by the way.)
While Keith’s revisionist history might need some polishing, the Canucks’ anger is quite focused. Alain Vigneault thought the elbow was major penalty material while Henrik Sedin was reportedly “livid” about the hit. (Their complaints carry extra anger because Chicago won 2-1 in overtime.)
Jahns passes along something that could get blown out of proportion: Henrik said that Keith “made comments” before the elbow.
Either way, Keith created quite a mess for himself – and likely some unwanted extra attention in future games.
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans have a right to be upset with St. Louis 2
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 7
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 19
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 34
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)