Mar 22, 2012, 12:01 AM EDT
Chicago Blackhawks defenseman Duncan Keith is saying the right things about his controversial elbow on Daniel Sedin. Keith said that he wasn’t trying to hurt Sedin, providing this explanation to Adam Jahns.
“The puck was up in the air from what I remember and I’m trying to close my gap and have a good gap on him,” Keith said. “Right at the last second, he moves forward. I don’t know where the puck is. It’s fast. Like I said, I hope he’s OK. I need to see the replay. I need to see it again.”
Here’s video of the offending hit, which also includes a check by Sedin from earlier in the game, one many believe inspired Keith’s actions. (Keith, curiously, didn’t remember that blow properly either – he might not be the kind of guy you want as an eyewitness, by the way.)
While Keith’s revisionist history might need some polishing, the Canucks’ anger is quite focused. Alain Vigneault thought the elbow was major penalty material while Henrik Sedin was reportedly “livid” about the hit. (Their complaints carry extra anger because Chicago won 2-1 in overtime.)
Jahns passes along something that could get blown out of proportion: Henrik said that Keith “made comments” before the elbow.
Either way, Keith created quite a mess for himself – and likely some unwanted extra attention in future games.
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 11
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 10
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)