Mar 21, 2012, 8:20 AM EDT
It didn’t take long for the NHL to step in on Shane Doan.
Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos reports Doan will meet with the league at 5 p.m. to discuss the play that saw him put Benn down on the ice with a needless shot to the head. Benn was not injured on the play and Doan received only a minor penalty for elbowing.
If you’re curious whether or not Doan is a first-time offender or not, he isn’t. Doan was just fined last week for boarding Calgary’s Mark Giordano and he was also the first player suspended after the implementation of Rule 48 last season when he hit Anaheim’s Dan Sexton.
Dallas coach Glen Gulutzan said after last night’s game that he feels Doan should be sat down for the hit as he told ESPNDallas,com.
“I think it is a suspendable offense. He targeted the head with his elbow. The league will look at it for sure and decide. But it’s deliberate.”
It sure looks deliberate from this vantage point. Here’s video of the hit if you haven’t seen it. If this one doesn’t warrant action from Brendan Shanahan, who knows what will from here out.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 18
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 48
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 35
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)