Mar 21, 2012, 8:20 AM EST
It didn’t take long for the NHL to step in on Shane Doan.
Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos reports Doan will meet with the league at 5 p.m. to discuss the play that saw him put Benn down on the ice with a needless shot to the head. Benn was not injured on the play and Doan received only a minor penalty for elbowing.
If you’re curious whether or not Doan is a first-time offender or not, he isn’t. Doan was just fined last week for boarding Calgary’s Mark Giordano and he was also the first player suspended after the implementation of Rule 48 last season when he hit Anaheim’s Dan Sexton.
Dallas coach Glen Gulutzan said after last night’s game that he feels Doan should be sat down for the hit as he told ESPNDallas,com.
“I think it is a suspendable offense. He targeted the head with his elbow. The league will look at it for sure and decide. But it’s deliberate.”
It sure looks deliberate from this vantage point. Here’s video of the hit if you haven’t seen it. If this one doesn’t warrant action from Brendan Shanahan, who knows what will from here out.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 27
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)