Mar 21, 2012, 8:20 AM EDT
It didn’t take long for the NHL to step in on Shane Doan.
Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos reports Doan will meet with the league at 5 p.m. to discuss the play that saw him put Benn down on the ice with a needless shot to the head. Benn was not injured on the play and Doan received only a minor penalty for elbowing.
If you’re curious whether or not Doan is a first-time offender or not, he isn’t. Doan was just fined last week for boarding Calgary’s Mark Giordano and he was also the first player suspended after the implementation of Rule 48 last season when he hit Anaheim’s Dan Sexton.
Dallas coach Glen Gulutzan said after last night’s game that he feels Doan should be sat down for the hit as he told ESPNDallas,com.
“I think it is a suspendable offense. He targeted the head with his elbow. The league will look at it for sure and decide. But it’s deliberate.”
It sure looks deliberate from this vantage point. Here’s video of the hit if you haven’t seen it. If this one doesn’t warrant action from Brendan Shanahan, who knows what will from here out.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 21
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 5
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 9
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 14
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)