Mar 21, 2012, 8:20 AM EDT
It didn’t take long for the NHL to step in on Shane Doan.
Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos reports Doan will meet with the league at 5 p.m. to discuss the play that saw him put Benn down on the ice with a needless shot to the head. Benn was not injured on the play and Doan received only a minor penalty for elbowing.
If you’re curious whether or not Doan is a first-time offender or not, he isn’t. Doan was just fined last week for boarding Calgary’s Mark Giordano and he was also the first player suspended after the implementation of Rule 48 last season when he hit Anaheim’s Dan Sexton.
Dallas coach Glen Gulutzan said after last night’s game that he feels Doan should be sat down for the hit as he told ESPNDallas,com.
“I think it is a suspendable offense. He targeted the head with his elbow. The league will look at it for sure and decide. But it’s deliberate.”
It sure looks deliberate from this vantage point. Here’s video of the hit if you haven’t seen it. If this one doesn’t warrant action from Brendan Shanahan, who knows what will from here out.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 0
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 69
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 34
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 6
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 12
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 41
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 63