Mar 19, 2012, 5:32 PM EDT
Another day, another story about the Washington Capitals failing to execute the game plan.
This time it’s defenseman Roman Hamrlik trumpeting the need to buy what coach Dale Hunter is selling.
“When you play the game long enough you know how to play,” Hamrlik said, as per CSNWashington.com. “We haven’t changed the system. We should know the system. The coaches believe in the system and we should believe in it, too.
“We need to stick with it for 60 minutes. Otherwise, you go other ways. Some guys go one way, some guys go the other way. That’s not going to work. We have to play 20 guys together and compete every shift.”
Hunter’s been imploring his troops to chip and chase when the opponent stacks the blue line, which for professional hockey players isn’t exactly rocket science.
He also advocates a man-on-man defense, which probably isn’t drawn up like this:
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 38
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 3
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 28
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 14
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 72
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 6
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination